General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Default Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .

I have seen some of these bike carrying RV's at bike shows . But I need some real reviews from bike owners that have them. So please post your pictures and all your pro's and con's and cost of your RV. Thanks

Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I cant add a pic,, im still in the looking stage also and would enjoy learning form others ,, I have owned a trailer for 14 years but not a toy hauler.... I've gone to a few shows,, and have a short list of things I like that seems to be available on mid range and above units,, maybe those who have them could add to these issues also..

1. angled entrance ramp inside back of trailer to help with ramp angle for larger bike. Not sure what this is called but seems to be a nice feature to avoid bottoming out. Did you have issues without this type of ramp with the back door?

2. Some units have a garage wall separation, instead of a open room look that your bike would have to be removed to use some of the flip down or pull down furniture.. I would rather have the garage style,, but does the open concept work with using the trailer and keeping bike inside?

3. some units have a gas generator with a tank and pump where your pump can be used to give yourself gas from your own trailer for your bike,,, I would rather avoid paying for this as My needs wouldn't include this option, however it is found on mid to higher range units. maybe you would like that.,.

4. my unit will include a winterized features and fluid tanks cause I use my trailer into winter,, This has given me unanswered questions that maybe others can answer,, often on a trailer with winterized heated tanks the area under the trailer is heated by the furnace with enclosed tanks to get them out of the wind... has this type of build made any impact on how you added aftermarket front wheel chock or tie downs? cause it seems to be a hard to get inaccessible area to add nuts or bolts under a garage area floor due to the enclosed objective with insulation below tanks.... or did you have no issues?

not trying to hijack post just issues Im dealing with as I decide.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts

Bought a cheap RV and built my own.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

That is a really nice job on the RV

Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Great job

Old 08-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a 28-ft. (33-ft. OAL) Forest River Work & Play. It's self-contained with a tongue-mounted 4.5kW Onan generator. I bought mine (barely) used years ago and (to date) other than the (4) Chinese-made cheesy leveling jacks, I've no complaints.

I could easily fit two Touring bikes side by side in the 10-ft. garage.

Just remember: the longer/bigger a Toy Hauler is, the bigger the truck needed to pull it with ease. I pull mine with a F-350 DWR truck with a 4.10:1 axle ratio. I would say a 3/4 ton truck with a 3.73:1 axle ratio towing my trailer would work the truck pretty hard.

The Work & Play RVs pop up on eBay a lot, and if I had it to do over again I would have bought a longer Work & Play with a gooseneck hitch allowing for more living space. The last W&P gooseneck I saw went for around 8k (almost 1/2 of what I paid for mine). The deals are out there; it just takes patience and searching.

Here's a couple of pics of a similar Work & Play I looked at, but didn't buy:

And the Garage area:

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll try to answer...

Originally Posted by The Biscuit
Sorry I cant add a pic,, im still in the looking stage also and would enjoy learning form others ,, I have owned a trailer for 14 years but not a toy hauler.... I've gone to a few shows,, and have a short list of things I like that seems to be available on mid range and above units,, maybe those who have them could add to these issues also..

1. angled entrance ramp inside back of trailer to help with ramp angle for larger bike. Not sure what this is called but seems to be a nice feature to avoid bottoming out. Did you have issues without this type of ramp with the back door?

Dovetails.

My Work & Play sits low, so this is not an issue with me. With larger Toy Haulers with higher floors, it would definitely be a plus.

2. Some units have a garage wall separation, instead of a open room look that your bike would have to be removed to use some of the flip down or pull down furniture.. I would rather have the garage style,, but does the open concept work with using the trailer and keeping bike inside?

I have a separate garage area with a door and appreciate it immensely. Highly recommend.

3. some units have a gas generator with a tank and pump where your pump can be used to give yourself gas from your own trailer for your bike,,, I would rather avoid paying for this as My needs wouldn't include this option, however it is found on mid to higher range units. maybe you would like that.,.

Mine doesn't have it but it does appear to be "standard equipment" on many units these days. About the only time I would use it would be to fill up my generator fuel tank.

4. my unit will include a winterized features and fluid tanks cause I use my trailer into winter,, This has given me unanswered questions that maybe others can answer,, often on a trailer with winterized heated tanks the area under the trailer is heated by the furnace with enclosed tanks to get them out of the wind... has this type of build made any impact on how you added aftermarket front wheel chock or tie downs? cause it seems to be a hard to get inaccessible area to add nuts or bolts under a garage area floor due to the enclosed objective with insulation below tanks.... or did you have no issues?

Since most fresh, gray and black water holding tanks are mounted in the front or center of the RVs, it should not be an issue. I don't recall ever seeing a garage with any plumbing or electrical under it. A/C is either ducted in the ceiling or direct roof mounted; and heat ducts from the furnace are either wall mounted or placed out of the way near the front of the garage.

not trying to hijack post just issues Im dealing with as I decide.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST

Great job on that! really impressed with the finished product.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Super job Tom. I see a cottage industry in your future!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST

That works , nice .

Quick Reply: Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .