General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I've owned several RV's including two large toy haulers; A 30' Work and Play and a 35' Weekend Warrior 5th wheel. They've been great, and we've travelled extensively going as far as Laconia in NH. The problem is the monstrous toy haulers burn up fuel and you need a large campsite. On my last trip to Laconia I spent over $1,200 just in fuel for my diesel truck.

So, I'm downsizing. Getting a high quality Load-All ramp for the bed of my F-250 and will find a small (18' to 21') trailer so I can get in some of the smaller campgrounds. Yes, the bike will be "exposed" in the bed of the truck, but that just means a little more time cleaning.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM
2ropes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
I've owned several RV's including two large toy haulers; A 30' Work and Play and a 35' Weekend Warrior 5th wheel. They've been great, and we've travelled extensively going as far as Laconia in NH. The problem is the monstrous toy haulers burn up fuel and you need a large campsite. On my last trip to Laconia I spent over $1,200 just in fuel for my diesel truck.

So, I'm downsizing. Getting a high quality Load-All ramp for the bed of my F-250 and will find a small (18' to 21') trailer so I can get in some of the smaller campgrounds. Yes, the bike will be "exposed" in the bed of the truck, but that just means a little more time cleaning.
In talking with some friends that travel with long RV's they have mentioned length being an issue at some campgrounds.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is another option guys...

This is a motorcycle camper you pull with your bike. They are a few quality campers out there but this is the company we are going with. 100% USA made in Hobart, Ok by a family business. Check em out, it's worth a look.

http://www.rollahome.com/

...and no I am not affiliated with RAH just spreading the word on a quality, USA made, product!

Rax

Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't show much more than this...
OpSec and all that...

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom,
Would you post pics of your living area in your rv?

Fantastic job!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Gonna throw my 2 cents in here. Wife and I have been using some sort of camper/bike combination for a bunch of years now. We started with a ramp to put the bike in the bed of the pickup and a regular travel trailer. That sucked, would not recommend it. Moved to a toy hauler that had a pop out bed on the front and rear ramp door. This unit used the "garage" area as the living room. I was never overly happy with this one either. None of my displeasure was with fit and finish or usability of the units. After those two attempts we thought long and hard about where to go to next. We looked at all kinds of toy haulers in al kinds of sizes and styles.

We decided, that for us, any rig would have to have a separate garage from the living space. There would have to be a regular style bed, not something that popped out or folded down. It would have to have a complete bathroom and not one that you sit on the toilet while you take your shower.

After looking long and hard we ended up with a small class A motorhome with a wells cargo trailer for the bikes. This maximized our living space as well as provided a full time garage for the bikes. When we get done riding for the day, the bike go back into the trailer and get locked up. No worries about the bikes when in camp. Of course this is a rather costly endeavor and something you need to research very well in order to be happy.

We though that we would use the camper more than we do, and are actually looking into way to use it more then we have over the past years.

If I had it to do over again (20/20 hindsight) I would go with a smaller class C RV that would then allow us to travel on the days were the weather is just to crappy to want to ride.

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me with any questions. I have done a lot of research on toy haulers and how to best get you and your bikes to a campground.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam

You might look into what I did. 20' 12000 GVW cargo trailer. Wired 110,28 gallons of water, 110v tankless water heater, 1500 watt heater with fan. Made some cabinets in my shop, a futon from IKEA and we're on the road. easily 2 baggers and a dyna with the futon in. I could squeeze 4 baggers without the couch. We just reserve a site close to the restrooms and showers.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .-trailer2.jpg   Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .-trailer3.jpg   Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .-058.jpg  

Last edited by user 8373900; 08-26-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 AM
geezerglide007
Advanced

I own 16 motorcycles, and we drag race motorcycles. so last year I bit the bullet and bought a Thor Funmover. It's a straight Ford F-750 with a Cat. diesel and Allison automatic. It is the best thing since sliced bread! A 10x8' sealed garage with cabinets and a hydraulic lift gate for the bikes and equipment, or 1 bike and a golf cart. 30' of luxury living space with all the comforts of home! Fuel mileage is between 6 to 8 mpg at 70 mph. Underbody cabinets all the way around, 8000W generator, and the girlfriend can drive it! Check them out on the web, you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Originally Posted by jurob
Tom,
Would you post pics of your living area in your rv?
Never had much luck in taking good pics of the inside.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
You might look into what I did. 20' 12000 GVW cargo trailer. Wired 110,28 gallons of water, 110v tankless water heater, 1500 watt heater with fan. Made some cabinets in my shop, a futon from IKEA and we're on the road. easily 2 baggers and a dyna with the futon in. I could squeeze 4 baggers without the couch. We just reserve a site close to the restrooms and showers.

Mark
That screen on the back, is that something custom made or bought? I've often considered something like that for my trailer so I could use it to camp out of.

Quick Reply: Do you have a RV that holds a bike or two show us what you have .