General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prescription Goggles

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 AM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prescription Goggles

I am thinking about buying a pair of tinted prescription goggles and there are a million on Google. Does anyone have any favorable opinions on a good vendor? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/6A63971C4B234979A40A94E8217881E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 02:21 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Prescription Goggles

I just went to Wal-mart yesturday with my prescripion. They have some nice looking motorcycle glasses, the ones I picked outhave the foam around the eyes. $68. bucks for the frames and $68. bucks for the polerized lens, single prescription, not bi-focal.

Panoptx are expensive for prescription, but wileyx are not bad. Go check out there website.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I went with lasik eye surgery about two years ago.....hell with glasses/contacts anymore.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check you optics store (Lenscrafters) and ask to see sport glasses. They are the type that pro basketball players wear and are available in prescription.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:13 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

I am thinking about buying a pair of tinted prescription goggles and there are a million on Google. Does anyone have any favorable opinions on a good vendor? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/6A63971C4B234979A40A94E8217881E9.jpg[/IMG]

"SMenasco"

"I am thinking about buying a pair of tinted prescription goggles and there are a million on Google. Does anyone have any favorable opinions on a good vendor? Thanks."

I like goggles I been using them for years hay if your a bar hopper or stay local then sick with sunglasses, if you get on the super-slab any hi-speed riding and if you ride in the rain, then you need goggles, I like the british goggles I tried the cheap ones, the brits are famous for airplane and race car goggles, I have a pair of Halcyon Mark 4 goggles with tinted lens "split lens" don't let the view of them scare you, you don't see the seam of the split in your view, it's amazing how well one sees on the sides or they make a one piece (curved) set of lenses in a different model, the model I have are leather, cheaper models (from them) come in vinyl or PVC, vinyl doesn’t last and not comfortable as leather IMO, remember both models have [Polycarbonate Lenses fitted inside a Brass Channel which clips into easily into the frame of your Halcyon Goggles.]

A few tips I found when wearing them

1- it’s nice to have a helmet that has a “little strap” on the back to hold the goggle strap, if you wear the goggles on the outside of your helmet, the strap is not totally necessary, if you remember not to pull up on them or push them up on the top front of your helmet, if moving they could “jump off” and you will have them go bouncing down the hi-way, this is not a problem if you wear the strap around your head, and my new half helmet doesn’t have one, not even an option.

2- I rarely found the need to use “anti-fog” dressing inside these goggles lenes, it all depends on the weather, I did use it one time and had some wipes on hand, it could be a good idea, but this make of goggles has small vent holes on the top and bottom that work well.

3- What I always do before a big trip up the hi-way is to coat the outside of the lenes with RainX, I can’t say enough about this product, it saved me many times from pulling over in a driving rain storm, I give them 2 coats.

Below is the link from where I brought them from or I should say my replacement set, my old pair were getting real beat up after 15 years, don’t pay too much attention to some of the pictures of them on these crazy looking helmets, goggles are goggles they are not Ray-Bans if you want to vogue then buy sunglasses and stop for a beer, if you want to go and not worry about being hit is the eyes, by high winds, tearing eyes, by driving rain, then get the goggles.
[font="times new roman"][color=#0000cc][size=3]&

Old 04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. I have had lasik, more times than I wanted. Monovision in the right eye for close-upand lasik distance in the left eye, which had to be re-done 5 times and was still no better than 20/50 and could not be improved with a prescription lense. Finally found a better opthamologist and he performed PRK on the bad left eye. It is now 20/20. I want prescription gogglesto convert the close-up mono eye to distance, for better vision while riding, since two eyes are always better than one. Also keeps the critters out. Thanks again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/E2A7B1A2C7654F4A8112F709093E90FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Huebie
Tourer

I just ordered a set of goggles online from wileyx.com. With shipping and all it came to $177. They are nice becuase the foam pops out and then you have sunglasses too. Lots of styles and lens colors to choose from.