General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pain in the neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Pain in the neck

I ride an '06 Ultra with stock bars and I'm 6' tall.Lately I've been experiencing a sharp pain starting at the base of the neck and going down between the shoulder blades.In your opinion,would changing to different bars solve my problem?I was looking at the WO 575,would these bars allow me to retain the fairing mirrors (I like them) and what about the stock cables?I e-mailed WO but didn't get an answer from them.Thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

. . . . you recently get married?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

You might be tensing up, like unknowingly raising your shoulders and causing those muscles to tighten up. I've had that problem before and not just on a bike.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luisan
...Lately I've been experiencing a sharp pain starting at the base of the neck and going down between the shoulder blades...

I had the exact same pain one morning when I was running late. Got to work and found the coat hanger from home was still in my jacket.

Sorry, your post just reminded me of that. I do get those symptoms occasionally on longer rides and will be interested in hearing what others have done to relieve the pain.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Heloguy
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to get bad pain like that, plus my traps would burn badly after about 30 minutes of riding my first bike (2005 Sportster 1200C) now that I have a brand new 2014 road king with mini apes, the pain is gone. definitely get new bars. you wont regret it.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

From my personal experience, I had the same issues and when I went to taller bars, the soreness from the back of my neck, shoulder blades and down went away. I'm sure there might be other ideas but that is how I got rid of my issues.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have a rider back rest installed on your Ultra?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I got them pains when I first got back into riding after a long layoff.I also have herniated discs in my neck. I think I was tensing up like already mentioned . It did go away after riding for a while . If that don't help you might what check different bars or move the ones you have , different seat might help . Back rest like already mentioned .Good Luck

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
You might be tensing up, like unknowingly raising your shoulders and causing those muscles to tighten up. I've had that problem before and not just on a bike.
Originally Posted by Larry Davis
Do you have a rider back rest installed on your Ultra?

Agree with the tensing up scenario. A back rest will give support and get you more "riding" then "hanging on" and allow you to relax more. Not saying you may need to go further - seat, bars, etc.- but this is a great addition no matter what.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

I usually get the pain on about the 3rd day of a trip or sooner if it is cold out. I do think taller bars has helped but I still get some pain on long multi day trips.

Quick Reply: Pain in the neck