General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for a Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

You might want to think about just sticking to the Harley stuff. I just did the street cannons, with a download, plus new air filter. with labor, it came to just about 1200.

Thing is, unless he's really going for it, my bud with the B motor, true duals and the race tune isn't really going that much faster than me. I still have the cat, am street legal, and the pipes are nice and quiet until I get on them, for those stealth missions when you've been at the bar a little longer than usual.

Just some food for thought, if they can do a deal for you with the service. For my money, the on board ECU is still the best bang for the buck. Unless you're really looking for it, it's hard to beat.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Any Harley dealership is required by law to tune the bike to EPA specs. Im sure you can find dealers that will tune for optimum performance but if they do they are breaking the law. A legal dealer tune will be leaner than an optimum performance tune thus leaving a few ponies on the table.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
Any Harley dealership is required by law to tune the bike to EPA specs. Im sure you can find dealers that will tune for optimum performance but if they do they are breaking the law. A legal dealer tune will be leaner than an optimum performance tune thus leaving a few ponies on the table.
I'm not sure how accurate that is considering they sell and install catless headers and mufflers which are also not EPA compliant.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:06 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

any Harley dealers care to respond?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're just doing the stage 1 you might want to check out the V&H FP-3. I have it and a V&H exhaust, and am happy with it. I haven't gotten a dyno, but it sure feels like it runs better to me.

Install it yourself, and save some cash. The FP-3 is super easy to use.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I went with all V&H stage 1 also and just don't think it can get any easier. The FP3 is a sweet little unit if your not going past stage 1. I use my motto x (android) phone to interact with my FP3, and I've never had a problem. I've tried a couple different maps since I got it, and they have both worked great and gone smoothly, autotune feature included. Bike is running great! Way cooler too.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodriverdon
Get a repair book and do it yourself,RUN from the dealer and call FuelMoto........
This.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:19 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the Powervision for a tuner. Very easy to use, and it has a autotuning function that you can use to fine tune one of the ready maps available for a engine-A/C-pipes combinations similar to yours that are available on their site. If you buy it from fuel moto they have additional maps to choose from. For the ultimate performance, to squeeze the last lbs-ft of torque a dyno run from an expert technician would be better, but for a bike that doesn' t have to race it will be very good anyway. And you can still dyno the bike with the pv if you wish so in the future.
Additional benefit: if you change something else in the future, like pipes or cams you can run the autotune yourself to retune your bike and not having to fork out another 400$ for a new dyno run at the dealership.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info guys! Now just waiting for the funds to be released (why do they hold insurance checks so stinkin' long??) and will see how it does after the download. I think I'll check out the FP3 (?).

Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 AM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Well, I'm going in Saturday and having the 5k service done. At the same time, they'll be installing the V&H Power Duals and Hi-Output slip-ons.

Here is where I have some questions.

On my previous bike, I had the V&H Monster Rounds on my stock headpipes with the stock A/C. They did the download flash and the bike ran great.

They are telling me that with the new headpipe and slip-ons, the bike won't run right if I don't do the A/C also as it will not be getting enough air. So... another $150 added to the bill.

And now, they say the download probably won't work with that set-up and I'll probably be getting a lot of decel popping. (I know it'll still be lean, but I had planned on piggy backing a Xied with it).

Anyway, we're going to try it first, and if it isn't running right, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get their Super Tuner (supposedly the old race tuner) for almost $400.00. Then they say it'll need to be dyno tuned (another $400.00).

WTF have I gotten into?? All I wanted was a little better sound, and get rid of some of the heat.

Will it be worth it to do the whole shebang?? I'm not looking to race it. I want reliability and trouble free operation more than anything.

I thought about getting a tuner on line and trying to download it myself, but that will probably end badly and I'd have to have all of it redone anyway.

For those that have experienced this, convince me which way to go please.
A few weeks back I bout a set of Cobra Sppedster Power Duals, an Arlen Ness Big sucker Stage 1 and a V&H Fuelpak. Put everything on the bike called V&H and set the Fuelpak. The next day I did a 200 mile run and the bike ran like ****. Did some googling and reading and determined the probable cuse was the Fuelpak. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Thundermax throttle by wire and replaced the stock Delphi emc. I set it up, hooked up my laptop to it. Then I did the idle fuel air training on it. Problem solved. The bike actually runs better than it ever has. I;m going on vacation in a week to Ardmore OK. Before I leave I will hook it up to the laptop one more time and do a couple of tweaks to the settings and roll.

Quick Reply: Tuning for a Stage 1