General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Demo Ride Event

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014 | 07:28 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced
Default Harley-Davidson Demo Ride Event

Have you ever been to one? Is there a typically a good selection of bikes and can you as many bikes as you want throughout the day? (I have four specific bikes I want to test ride.)

Appreciate any feedback. There isn't a demo ride in Houston & so I was thinking of riding out to Round Rock (Austin) in September.

Old 08-15-2014 | 07:47 PM
wwglide
Intermediate

If corporate Harley is coming out with their trailer full of bikes, you can generally ride as many as time permits. I've been to a few of them and the number of bikes I was able to ride also depending upon how many people where there to do the same. If it's not too crowded you can finish up on one and hop right on another. When it's been crowded, I've also had to sign up for a time slot, for each bike that I wanted to ride. They may also limit the number of slots that you can sign up for in order to try to give everyone an opportunity to ride.

For me, the great thing about the demo day was that I could actually get a good feel for a specific model that I thought that I wanted to buy. Twice now, I ended up buying a different model than I originally thought I wanted.

Before you spend 3 hrs driving to Round Rock, you may want to call the dealership to see if they can provide any additional information on how many you might be able to test ride.

Old 08-15-2014 | 08:41 PM
SR90
Tourer

I've been to a couple, they can be crowded so you'll want to get there early and be one of the first to sign up for bike of your choice. Last year I rode a '14 CVO Ultra, was very nice, too bad the ride was only 20 minutes. It was the only bike I wanted to ride so left after that. Get there early.

Old 08-15-2014 | 09:18 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by wwglide
If corporate Harley is coming out with their trailer full of bikes, you can generally ride as many as time permits. I've been to a few of them and the number of bikes I was able to ride also depending upon how many people where there to do the same. If it's not too crowded you can finish up on one and hop right on another. When it's been crowded, I've also had to sign up for a time slot, for each bike that I wanted to ride. They may also limit the number of slots that you can sign up for in order to try to give everyone an opportunity to ride.

For me, the great thing about the demo day was that I could actually get a good feel for a specific model that I thought that I wanted to buy. Twice now, I ended up buying a different model than I originally thought I wanted.

Before you spend 3 hrs driving to Round Rock, you may want to call the dealership to see if they can provide any additional information on how many you might be able to test ride.
Thanks. I'll call ahead.

Old 08-15-2014 | 09:31 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

The ones I have attended were always on Friday and Saturday. Before I retired, I would take a vacation day and go on Friday, not nearly as busy as Saturday. The ones I have been to had good selections, including some CVO bikes. The nice thing about demo days is that you deal with with the guys who travel with the bikes, not commissioned sales guys. Good way to spend the day.

Old 08-15-2014 | 09:31 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by SR90
I've been to a couple, they can be crowded so you'll want to get there early and be one of the first to sign up for bike of your choice. Last year I rode a '14 CVO Ultra, was very nice, too bad the ride was only 20 minutes. It was the only bike I wanted to ride so left after that. Get there early.
Thanks. Will do. I've had my sporty 1200 for 3 months & I'm ready for something different already.

Old 08-15-2014 | 09:52 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

If you're interested in a certain bike, my local dealer will roll it right out the door and fire it up.

"You wanna ride it? I'll get the key!"

They're awesome.

Old 08-15-2014 | 10:00 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
The ones I have attended were always on Friday and Saturday. Before I retired, I would take a vacation day and go on Friday, not nearly as busy as Saturday. The ones I have been to had good selections, including some CVO bikes. The nice thing about demo days is that you deal with with the guys who travel with the bikes, not commissioned sales guys. Good way to spend the day.
Thanks. That's not a bad idea -- taking a day of vacation and going on Friday. I might just do that!

Old 08-16-2014 | 03:20 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
If you're interested in a certain bike, my local dealer will roll it right out the door and fire it up.

"You wanna ride it? I'll get the key!"

They're awesome.
Same here north of you all. I could ride a different bike every weekend, they don't care.

Old 08-16-2014 | 04:57 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The dealer here will let you test ride a bike almost anytime. That said, recently, I took my buddy to a couple of demo days. He's only been riding a little over a year but rides daily. The first time he rode two Dynas because he was intimidated by the bigger bikes. I rode a Fat Boy and a Street Glide. The last time, he felt more confident and we both rode Street Glides.

On the Demo Days here they don't always have every bike available. I won't go back to them as I don't like the circus atmosphere.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Demo Ride Event