General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Demo Ride Event

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014 | 05:36 AM
SouthernWalker
Advanced

Originally Posted by HockeyCoach
Have you ever been to one? Is there a typically a good selection of bikes and can you as many bikes as you want throughout the day? (I have four specific bikes I want to test ride.)

Appreciate any feedback. There isn't a demo ride in Houston & so I was thinking of riding out to Round Rock (Austin) in September.
Before driving all the way to here to Austin, I would go to your dealership and ask them if you can demo a bike. When I went to Central Texas Harley and asked about demo days he said we demo bikes all the time..

Old 08-16-2014 | 07:51 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I never have because it worries me about riding someone else's bike. And there's only been 2 bikes I've ever wanted to ride...a SG and a Breakout and I've ridden them. And I was scared the whole time.

Old 08-16-2014 | 08:45 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I never have because it worries me about riding someone else's bike. And there's only been 2 bikes I've ever wanted to ride...a SG and a Breakout and I've ridden them. And I was scared the whole time.
I've never taken my dealer up on their offer of a test ride, for that very reason. I'd be mortified if anything happened. He said it's never happened, nobody has ever had an accident or dropped a bike on a test ride.

Oh, great, so I'd be first.

Old 08-16-2014 | 09:00 AM
crazyanimal
Road Captain

Here in Canada you sign a waiver so the MOCO is off the hook.You should get there early at least then you'll be able to pick the bike out that you mostly want to ride,after that ride is finished you can go and sign up for another.There is 2 rides,an A and a B,so if you were on the A ride,once you get back the B ride has already left so you go and sign up for one of bikes that is on that run,that's how it works here.Now,if theres a bike that nobody signed up to ride they will shout out that a bike is available,first one to raise his hand gets it,regardless if you just came back from a ride,they like to have them full.This is a great way to ride different bikes.On the down side you are riding with other people and different skill levels,but I have been on many of these and have never come across anything,they have people riding with you and watching,if you mess around they will not allow you to take part.

Old 08-16-2014 | 05:37 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
Same here north of you all. I could ride a different bike every weekend, they don't care.
Yeah, I just thought I'd test drive a bunch all at once.

I just test rode a new wide glide today. But... the brakes suck (compared to the fat bob that I rode) and the seat would have to be replaced (zero support).

But, man, oh man, do I love that 103 engine.

Old 08-16-2014 | 05:42 PM
HockeyCoach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazyanimal
Here in Canada you sign a waiver so the MOCO is off the hook.You should get there early at least then you'll be able to pick the bike out that you mostly want to ride,after that ride is finished you can go and sign up for another.There is 2 rides,an A and a B,so if you were on the A ride,once you get back the B ride has already left so you go and sign up for one of bikes that is on that run,that's how it works here.Now,if theres a bike that nobody signed up to ride they will shout out that a bike is available,first one to raise his hand gets it,regardless if you just came back from a ride,they like to have them full.This is a great way to ride different bikes.On the down side you are riding with other people and different skill levels,but I have been on many of these and have never come across anything,they have people riding with you and watching,if you mess around they will not allow you to take part.
Thanks. Low skill level riders setting the pace would seriously suck. I gotta get the things up to at least 80 mph-ish to know what bike I like best!

Old 08-16-2014 | 06:23 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

The dealer not far from me in Jacksonville NC will let you take any bike out for a spin which I appreciate. Went to a Demo event in Wilmington and they have you go out in groups. Gave me pause because the traffic sucks where this dealer is located. Get folks who don't know each other on strange bikes they've never ridden before mixed with a lot of traffic and you have a recipe for disaster. I'll stick to the dealer in Jacksonville.