General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Blue Tooth earbuds fitting under helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM
scarletfever
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Blue Tooth earbuds fitting under helmet

I'm a new Harley rider and have a lot to learn. I previously had a Honda Pacific Coast with a built in AM/FM radio with a coil cord connected to ear speakers contained in my helmet. Sold the Honda and bought a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic with no radio. I'm trying to figure out how I can fit Blue Tooth earbuds into my ears and still put on my 3/4 helmet without pulling out the earbuds in the process. Can anyone help me with their experience in using Blue Tooth ear buds to play tunes from their iPhone while weaing a helmet?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

Why not get a bluetooth system designed to install into the helmet like one from Sena?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I use over the ear ear buds all the time. Used under 1/2, 3/4 and modular FF helmets.

Amazon.com: JVC HAEBX5B Sport Clip Headphone, Black: Electronics Amazon.com: JVC HAEBX5B Sport Clip Headphone, Black: Electronics

These are the one's I like best. They come with different size covers so you can get a perfect fit. The frame over the ear really holds it in place. I have no problems with the earbuds interfering with the fit of any helmet.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,192 Likes on 6,718 Posts

Use a step drill...push it far enough into each ear so the buds go in deeper.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scarletfever
I'm a new Harley rider and have a lot to learn. I previously had a Honda Pacific Coast with a built in AM/FM radio with a coil cord connected to ear speakers contained in my helmet. Sold the Honda and bought a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic with no radio. I'm trying to figure out how I can fit Blue Tooth earbuds into my ears and still put on my 3/4 helmet without pulling out the earbuds in the process. Can anyone help me with their experience in using Blue Tooth ear buds to play tunes from their iPhone while weaing a helmet?
What was wrong with the coil cord and ear speakers? Surely you just move the cord from the radio to the iPhone?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:54 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I wear wired earbuds on every ride. Klipsch/Etymotics Phone needs the wire for radio reception as well when I want to listen to Savage or Limbaugh. I like that I can ride with one or both in and not worry about recharging.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 AM
EX18DELTA
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Sena SMH10 linked to my iPhone. They come with a ton of mounting options for the mic as well as the speakers. I have the a Sena clamp on my FF and Bell Rouge and just move the module to the helmet of the day.
You not only can listen to your tunes and talk to your wife but you can answer the phone if your nutty enough to want to ruin a perfect ride.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I have a Sena 20s and its pretty good for music. I link it to an old iPhone that I only use as a music player anymore (no cell service on it). I put that old iPhone in a magnetic leather case I made directly on my tank. I have used my current phone as well, and if I needed GPS I would switch to it. Its pretty good for music, I regularly am running 80 + mph on the interstate for my morning commute and hear the music fine, and I have no wind shield. It also has a built in FM radio. It is a little bulky, and even and I kind of wish they had a smaller version of the 20s, I know they do for the older models. I also think the voice command feature is a little wonky, you are supposed to tap the body of the unit to activate a voice command, but I don't consistently trigger it when I tap it. Oh and price may be an issue, as it is quite a bit more expensive than stand alone ear buds.

Here it is in my helmet.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 AM
grumble
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
I have a Sena 20s and its pretty good for music. I link it to an old iPhone that I only use as a music player anymore (no cell service on it). I put that old iPhone in a magnetic leather case I made directly on my tank. I have used my current phone as well, and if I needed GPS I would switch to it. Its pretty good for music, I regularly am running 80 + mph on the interstate for my morning commute and hear the music fine, and I have no wind shield. It also has a built in FM radio. It is a little bulky, and even and I kind of wish they had a smaller version of the 20s, I know they do for the older models. I also think the voice command feature is a little wonky, you are supposed to tap the body of the unit to activate a voice command, but I don't consistently trigger it when I tap it. Oh and price may be an issue, as it is quite a bit more expensive than stand alone ear buds.

I just got the same unit (the SENA 20S). I'm not so sure the unit itself is ready for prime-time. There are many firmware issues that need to be resolved. Volume issues from Bluetooth - oh and that "maximum volume warning" tone that will shatter an eardrum. They're promising fixes to some of this with the next firmware revision - but they've alluded to a BT preamp design issue - and you can't solve that stuff with firmware. I'll give it another 45 days for them to come out with one or two more software revs - if they don't work, it's going back. It's a FABULOUS concept.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by grumble
I just got the same unit (the SENA 20S). I'm not so sure the unit itself is ready for prime-time. There are many firmware issues that need to be resolved. Volume issues from Bluetooth - oh and that "maximum volume warning" tone that will shatter an eardrum. They're promising fixes to some of this with the next firmware revision - but they've alluded to a BT preamp design issue - and you can't solve that stuff with firmware. I'll give it another 45 days for them to come out with one or two more software revs - if they don't work, it's going back. It's a FABULOUS concept.
I haven't got that volume warning tone yet. I've only had the unit about 2 weeks though, but have pretty much used it everyday since I have had it.

Quick Reply: Help with Blue Tooth earbuds fitting under helmet