General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It really BUGS me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 01:00 AM
flakdog
|
Road Captain
Default It really BUGS me...

How thick do the splattered bugs get on your windshield, fairing, teeth etc. before you wash them off? It seems like everytime I ride with my friends their bikes are spotless. My bike seems to attract bug splatters. Yes I do wash it occasionally, but it takes up riding time.

FD

Old 04-07-2007 | 07:09 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Default RE: It really BUGS me...

I ride everyday that there is not rain or snow falling (today is out, it is friggin snowing in Hampton, Va), I don't have time to clean the bike several times a week, so mine gets pretty bad too. I feel pretty bad about it sometimes but then I brush it off and ride. I bought the bike as a means of transportation not a museum piece, I clean it when I have time.I probably wash it about every other week andI clean the windshileld when it is hard to see through.

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:17 AM
flakdog
|
Road Captain

Same here. I bought mine to ride. Hope you guys get some nice riding weather soon.

FD

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:23 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

I use 'Lemon Pledge' the furniture polish. It works better than any expensive plastics cleaner like 'Mirror Glaze'. Just use a soft dry cloth like an old T-shirt. About once a year clean the plastics with a solution of 50% water/50% alcohol and start over. The Lemon Pledge is good for all your painted surfaces also. It will make rain water run off your windshield much faster. I use it on my helmet's visor, but some don't like the lemon smell inside their helmet. ........... BC

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:33 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer

During the riding season I usually wash my bike two or three times a week. It doesn't take that long. Hose it off, blow it dry and hit the highlights with some spray wax. It always looks good and I can do it in about 30 minutes or less. Has it really been dirty, you bet it has but after spending as much coin on my ride as I have, I like it to look good. And I mean I like it to look good for me not anyone else.

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:47 AM
flakdog
|
Road Captain

My brother-in-law swears by the lemon pledge for the bike deal. Says it is a lot cheaper than the other stuff. Wd Gld, I think you are right, I feel better when the bike is clean. It just finally got tired of spending the time cleaning when after the next 10 miles I have a fresh layer of bugs.

Old 04-07-2007 | 03:31 PM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer

Flakdog,
Nice looking ride. That has to look fantastic when it is all cleaned up.

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:56 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Hydrogen peroxide does as well as anything I've found for bugs. Ikeepit handyin a spray bottleand hit the windshield daily with it. Fresh bugs come off a lot easier than petrified ones.

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:33 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

dynageezer and I use the same stuff

Old 04-07-2007 | 11:04 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Hammer and Chisel

Quick Reply: It really BUGS me...