General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Panhandle Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida Panhandle Ride

Anyone done this ride?Mrs and I with a few friends are debating as to when to schedule the tripthis year. With all the terrible weather and just a few hints of spring here in MD we are about ready to throw em on the Auto Train and head south.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Florida Panhandle Ride

It's warm enough now,come on down. PM me if you plan on getting as far west as Mobile.

Last fall,after Daytona,I picked up hwy 98 at Lakeland and followed it to west of Panama City before I got back up on I10 to head on home to Mobile.

Just a beautiful ride.Sleepylittle towns,forests,swamps,beachs,good seafood and friendly people. The part of Florida that most people never see.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next month will be thunder beach rally in panama city, might make a nice time to go down.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:34 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've rode from Gulf Shores, AL down to Panama City Beach. My favorite part of that ride is the highway between the sound and the ocean from Pensacola to Navarre. I think it's hwy 399. It's beautiful but last year it was closed due to the hurricane damage. Hopefully, the Corp of Engineers will have it operational by Thunderbeach.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Lived in the panhandle for years. Where do you want to start your trip? West in Pensacola or somewhere farther east like Panama City or Tallahassee? To stay close to the beach, ride hiway 98. During spring break avoid the beach areas of PC, it is as bad as Daytona for traffic!! For a truly beautiful ride, take hiway 90 and ride it as far as you want. All small towns, oaks over the hiway, just beautiful. Interstate 10 is the most boring ride out there, but if you start in Jacksonville, I would ride 10 west until you get in the panhandle area somewhere west of the interstate 75 intersection.

My personal recommendation is hiway 90 headiing west out of Tallahasse to the Alabama line. Absolutely beautiful and very little traffic, no reason to hurry just ride and enjoy it. If you have to get your beach fix, drop into Destin, or Pensacola Beach for an evening. Hiway 90 will drop south into Pensacola before the Alabama line. Drop me an e-mail if you have specific questions, I know that area of the country back and forth.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input, we will be starting in Sanford just below Daytona and riding northwest. American Iron did a article on this ride last month I believe but I think you get much better input from peeps who have run this road themselves.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
clarkg1124
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you get out of the Orlando metro area it is all good.
If traffic doesn't bother you,take the Florida turnpike north to I-75,and I-75 north to the first exit(Wildwood).At the bottom of the exit ramp,turn left onto SR44.This road will take you through Inverness,and dead-ends at US19 in Crystal River.Turn north on US 19 and enjoy the ride!!!
If you want to head west on US98,you will come to it in Perry.Turn left and you are on your way.If you want to take US90,I would recommendgetting on I-10 north of Perry,and get off on US90 at the Quincy exit west of Tallahassee.
If you want some company and an informal tour guide for part of your trip,drop me a line.I live close to your route.
Clark

Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 PM
woodhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday at Cocodries. Navrre Beach