General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTT ... Breaking Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM
johnpef
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTT ... Breaking Up

Hi, I have an 04 Ultra Classic and am having a problem with my CB radio. At times, especially when I am traveling and push my PTT button, the transmit signal breaks up drastically. At times it evenhappens when I am parked. The dealer replaced the rear PTT switch, sawitng it was always in the volume up position, they changed the antenna and check all the connections in the tour pack. Still did not correct the problem. Did any one else have the same problem or does any one have any ideas as to what it can be. The dealer said the next thing to do is replace the radio.
Thanks
-John[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PTT ... Breaking Up

More than likely it is your MIC CORD.

Make sure they got the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) under 2.0. If it's higher than that you will blow the final output in the radio. A new radio will not fix that problem. Make sure you use cables that are in 3 foot increments. For example - from SWR meter to radio - 3 feet (for tuning). From radio to antenna - 6 feet or 9 feet cable. Don't use a length that is not divisible be 3 feet.

Hope this helps.

Nick