General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man WTF? $100 PRICE DIFF? 1K Service!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Man WTF? $100 PRICE DIFF? 1K Service!!!

Ok so i really was going to take my bike back to the dealer i bought it from last month but they quoted me $377 for the first service! They are an hour away! My close dealer only 16 minutes away even tho i didnt get the bike there they quoted me $270.. Guess where im going! Why the difference?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Do some research for your area and find a good indy shop. Key word of course is 'good' . . . I'll add reputable as well. Keep your records for HD warranty. Many times a good indy shop will do a much better job than a dealer and be close to half price, which REALLY makes one wonder about dealerships.

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 07-31-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NYC.streetkid
Do some research for your area and find a good indy shop. Key word of course is 'good' . . . I'll add reputable as well. Keep your records for HD warranty. Many times a good indy shop will do a much better job than a dealer and be close to half price
I dont trust the indy shops in my area.. Here to many horror stories. Honestly i could do the first 1k service myself but it is the one i like taking in just to have them go over everything i feel its best for warranty and gives me that fuzzy feeling inside even tho i should just do it myself! I just think the price they charge is goofy. And why the difference between HD dealers? there the same company and doing the same job, i know they are tech privately owned but man $107 bucks is a huge difference for dealers in the same general area!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC.streetkid
Do some research for your area and find a good indy shop. Key word of course is 'good' . . . I'll add reputable as well. Keep your records for HD warranty. Many times a good indy shop will do a much better job than a dealer and be close to half price
Agreed. I live half mile from a class A Indy and I'm glad of it. He's a one man operation and does fine work. Will do a 3 hole fluid change for fraction of dealer cost and that's using Amsoil.

Dealer wanted near 200 bucks to rebuild the carburetor on my 02 wide glide. My Indy did it for 75 bucks including a tune. Can't beat that

I know what you mean about trust. On the other hand there's a horror story about everything if you ask the wrong person. I was hesitant to use my Indy so I just started dropping by and chatting with him and asking questions. After we got to know each other I felt a lot better about it

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 07-31-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I dont trust the indy shops in my area.. Here to many horror stories. Honestly i could do the first 1k service myself but it is the one i like taking in just to have them go over everything i feel its best for warranty and gives me that fuzzy feeling inside even tho i should just do it myself! I just think the price they charge is goofy. And why the difference between HD dealers? there the same company and doing the same job, i know they are tech privately owned but man $107 bucks is a huge difference for dealers in the same general area!
i like taking in just to have them go over everything .... That's the key. If they really do go through it. Many 1,000 mile service techs ( not all ) are "pencil pushers". Drop the oil, spin off and on a new filter and put it out in the lot and call you three hours later.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
i like taking in just to have them go over everything .... That's the key. If they really do go through it. Many 1,000 mile service techs ( not all ) are "pencil pushers". Drop the oil, spin off and on a new filter and put it out in the lot and call you three hours later.
I know!!! That worries me too! Cant trust anyone anymore!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

I checked tire prices for my touring bike and the same tires in J&P are half the price as a HD shop. And they (dealers) wonder why some people choose not to use their services. The RUBS don't seem to care about the cost.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Indys are real techs. My Indy was a Harley Dealership tech for 12 years and went to an indy shop. He said many Harley dealers don't use their trained techs to do tires and oil. They hire "porters" trainees or green techs.

When you get an oil change (or tires) at an Indy shop. Chances are they cannot afford a "porter" so the trained tech does all the big stuff as well as small and he is more likely to find something else that is critical than a porter.I only use Harley for warranty work.

Same thing goes for the Vette. I found an Independent Vette shop 100 miles away. As long as I can get it there they will be the only hands on the car.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I asked a dealership in Dallas what the cost was on a brake job...$275. Then I asked the one in Waco...smaller town, smaller dealership. They quoted me $175.

I also asked Dallas about doing my handle bars. $1300. Then they said they couldn't do it. Waco did it for $450.

Waco is my dealership now.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I asked a dealership in Dallas what the cost was on a brake job...$275. Then I asked the one in Waco...smaller town, smaller dealership. They quoted me $175.

I also asked Dallas about doing my handle bars. $1300. Then they said they couldn't do it. Waco did it for $450.

Waco is my dealership now.
Crazy!!!

Quick Reply: Man WTF? $100 PRICE DIFF? 1K Service!!!