General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer situation, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
RageAndMachine
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer situation, what would you do?

Normally, i have nothing but good things to say about my local HD dealer in Wisconsin, they have always treated me well and all and all they are really good dudes. but i was presented with a small "issue" and im curious what you people would do.

Just purchased an07 SG that is in the proecess of being "accessorized" at the dealer. The bike hasnt even seen the light of day yet. Well get a call from the dealer manager, he starts by saying "I got some bad news" and im like thinking what the hell could be "Bad News" coming from the dealer...what does he have ahemroid flair up? No, no hemroids, he explains to me that they some how found a way to put a 1 inch scratch in my front fender. These are the options he gave me:

1) We can put some fender tips on to cover it up free of charge!!!!

Well my answer to that was, "whatlike you would contimplate charging me for them!!" And the reason I bought the street glide in the first place was it had the clean uncluttered theme. So no, im not gonna do fender tips and make the bike look like an Ultra, thats not what i want!

2) We can send it out to be repainted...the catch is...the MOCO has not released this paint to the dealers yet, so you will have to bring the bike back for us to fix it (its the pewter denim color, one of the new flat looking paint schemes).

This is what i agreed too, but it is still bugging me. My question for you is this. Do you think there will be quality issues with them having it repainted locally (especially since this is new paint and process I would imagine), or should i go in there and tell them that I want a new fender from the MOCO? I do know the dude they use is a very good painter, i have seen his work on some chops around here...i just dont know if im being a freak about it.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dealer situation, what would you do?

the dealer messed up my rear fender.....they are going to have mine repainted....havent turned it in but im only going to pick it up in sunshine so i can see from all angles that color matches....

good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 11:05 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Were I in the same situation, I would insist upon having a BRAND NEW fender installed. I wouldn't opt for a repainting of the existing fender and the 'fender tip' solution is insulting. No way in hell I would go for a repaint on a brand new bike straight out of the dealer.

I was in the same situation when I picked up my Heritage last year. When they were putting on some of the accessory items upon delivery they had scratched the rear fender in a very remote place. Was it noticeable? Not really. Did it bother the hell out of me? You bet. They tried to run the same deal past me; offering a touch up paint job or having the fender repainted altogether. I told them they had one of two choices to make. One, they could replace the fender with a brand new one; leaving me with the old scratched one to visually inspect so as to ensure it was in fact a new one put on the bike. Or second, they could speak to my attorney and advise him as to why they just lost out on the $24,000+ sale which would be negated in very short order. The opted for choice number one.

I can't emphasize this enough, insist upon a NEW FENDER replacement. Good luck whichever route you take.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
keninnj
Cruiser

The front frender on my Deluxe got really messed up last summer from some ******* at a detail shop...that is another story..
I sent it out to be painted and I swear you can't even see where the scratch was and it was a big one!!!
Most good painters have the codes, colors that Harley uses... you will be fine....

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

Yeah, im gonna go in there today and I'm thinking new fender.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Jambo
Banned

If they use an electrostatic bonding process at the factory,you won't be able to duplicate it locally.It takes years of weathering to see how it REALLY stands up.They all look good at first,I would demand brand new,they can rob an in stock unit,and deal with it themselves.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Ionvex
Cruiser

You bought a NEW bike. You should get a NEW fender with it.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
hammerhead
Cruiser

Have them order a new fender...Simple install for you if you take possesion before it comes in ....

Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would insiston new. Down the road (4-5 years) when the paints start to age/weather differently your dealer will tell you to get lost.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you have three days on the purchase of a new vehicle to rescind the sale?

Quick Reply: Dealer situation, what would you do?