General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Snakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Tar Snakes

It's been in the 90's to 103 here for a couple of weeks. Just ran out in the cage to do some errands. I was sitting at a red light watching oncoming traffic left turn on arrow, a real nice custom painted fatboy caught my eye. As I watched him leave the intersection I saw a young guy on a metric swing a U turn. In an instant his front tire washed out and he went down. Couple of guys around me and I jumped out blocked traffic and got him and bike out of the six lane intersection. He had a helmet on but pretty sure he has a broken elbow and some good rash. His tee shirt didn't offer much protection. I looked where he went down and saw a tar snake about 4 inches wide and very soft. His front tire hit when turning and slid right out like butter.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I hit a section of road the other day that got my immediate respect and a big "holy crap, what was that" from the wife. We were slowing down before turning, not going fast at all and my bike went into a "bagger wobble". Tar snakes suck at best and can seriously hurt you at worst. You're absolutely right to warn of this problem this time of year! If you're not paying attention before running one for sure you'll be paying attention immediately after!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

There are some roads in Western Pennsylvania that are really a joy to ride. Except when the snakes come alive. Leaning into a beautiful sweeping curve at 45/50 mph and finding all the repairs, made to the road, for the pat 25 years consist of tar injections is really a pucker pusher.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost dumped my ultra on a slow intersection corner where I encountered a dreaded snake which caused my front to slide out. I was watching traffic and not studying the road surface at the time. Luckily I was going slow enough and planted my foot a couple times and saved it. Other than that incident it was an awesome riding day with about 250 miles on the clock today.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer

Encountered a few tar snakes here in Florida but what really seems slippery to me are the thick white road lines when they are wet. They are like ice. Be careful out there!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,973 Likes on 11,992 Posts

Watch out for a road that has been "chip sealed" or "slurry sealed". The liquid tar pools in low areas of the road and then melts as the temperature heats up.
Loose gravel from the chip seal is also very dangerous.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

The black snakes of death.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Watch out for a road that has been "chip sealed" or "slurry sealed". The liquid tar pools in low areas of the road and then melts as the temperature heats up.
Loose gravel from the chip seal is also very dangerous.
found this out thursday. scared the hell outta me

Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer

Yep lots of them here and as States get broker there will be more to save $$, guess we need to add one more thing to the "ride accordingly" list eh?

Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I've seen tar bubble up and I've heard of people chewing tar and I've seen snakes but that's all

Quick Reply: Tar Snakes