General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Snakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Although not technically a "tar snake", I've seen (and I don't even know what they're supposed to be called) something that might be called "tar strips" at the ends of bridges and highway overpasses.

They look to be 8-12" wide, and fill the "gap" between the bridge and the road surface. I'm guessing they're installed there to permit weather expansion between the road and bridge surface (usually concrete).

Not sure whether they're "tar", rubber-based, or asphalt-based, but I've found them to be as bad or worse than tar snakes, even at cooler temps.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will second that on those white lines as well, we get those morning and afternoon boomers here in FL and makes those white lines seem like ice is on them..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of years ago, I was doing 80 or so and a little rain falling on the interstate (actually coming back from where my avatar and sig pictures were taken, on the Dragon) - started to change lanes, hit the tar snake along the dotted line and felt both tires slide at once. Luckily I didn't go down, but I didn't change lanes again all the way home.

Almost went down on one last Monday. Going through the parking lot at work, about 15-20, leaning around a corner, when my rear tire suddenly slide several inches. I put my foot down hard and stayed up and avoided hitting a parked car, but it made me pretty unhappy.

Seems like every time I nearly go down it's a tar snake - most non-living thing on the road.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,935 Likes on 8,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikula
found this out thursday. scared the hell outta me
Yeah, they do this out here in the toolies where I also ride my bicycle. There are times when I get off the bicycle and walk it until I get past the worst of the goopy mess. `Really f**ks up my tires and wheels. `Have to spend 30 minutes or more cleaning them and my bike shoes when I get home.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Hell Fire Hog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your afraid of tar snakes then you better stay off Antelope island, its totally infested with them. Between the tar snakes and the buffalo you gotta watch what your doing constantly to keep from be overtaken and forced into the lake.

Im not even going to mention the invisible chipmunks unless someone else brings it up.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate em tar snakes...i spend most my time weaving in out around em
like freshing painted lines @ times

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,880 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Have encountered a lifetime of them. Hate them. Seems like there is no regard for motorcycles when it comes to things that are done to the roads.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know we don't need more lawsuits -- but I do believe that they the road repairs need to be done so motorcyclists aren't put in danger. I ad a discussion with a road worker (who supposedly rode) and he gave al of this info about how the tar snake material met this and that -- for traction well I know that it doesn't give good traction

Old 07-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OwnerOfHarriet
I know we don't need more lawsuits -- but I do believe that they the road repairs need to be done so motorcyclists aren't put in danger. I ad a discussion with a road worker (who supposedly rode) and he gave al of this info about how the tar snake material met this and that -- for traction well I know that it doesn't give good traction
Actually a nice fat class action suit is exactly what is needed to get rid of this deadly practice.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:32 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OwnerOfHarriet
Some cities in Utah and Forest service have started removing the black mamba's in some areas. Haven't seen how they do it but 90% of it is gone. Some of the most scenic roads in Southern Utah are covered with them.

Quick Reply: Tar Snakes