General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you ride a bike you know...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If you ride a bike you know...

that a lot of things that happen while you are in a car will start to bother you while you are on your bike. Some of these things include but are not limited to
1.People who slam their brakes on in the car (car drivers are not aware that it takes a longer distance for a motorcycle to stop, and don't care either)
Best way to avoid this is to increase your following distance...

2.Poeple who change lanes without checking their blind spot (Cell phones have made this worse, but we'll get to that)
Best way to avoid this is to continually scan the road and not just the cars, but the people in the cars,and check their side mirrors to see if you can see them. Chances are if you can't see them in that side mirror, they can't see you either.

3.CELL PHONE TALKERS! By far the most dangerous thing I have seen on the road in my time riding. They only pay attention to what is in front of them, sort of. If I am on the freeway and am behind a car who is continually hitting the brakes for no reason, chances are they are on the phone. I usually ride up next to them to check this out. It is a fact of life for us now, so I just ask to be kept safe beforeI hit the road each day. It has worked so far.

4.Cages that don't signal. I make every attempt to always use my signals as it is a good habit to be in to let other vehicles know where I am going. I notice that most cages rarely signal at best where I live. One hand on the phone, the other on the wheel, no hand to signal with. they can explain that to us while we are lying on the ground. That must be their thinking.

I'll leave the rest of this up to you fine folks here as I am sure there are other numerous dangers that we face on a daily basis riding motorcyles. Let's keep this list going. I thionk it might really help the new riders as we have quite a few here.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If you ride a bike you know...

5. Everyone else. I think they should give me 2 times a day where no one else is out on the road. Enforceable by me shooting the violators (bar-mounted gattling guns would be allowed on my ride).

Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
anubisss
Banned

LOL. I have always wanted to mount a gun to my Handlebars...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM
tater2stock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regard to #4 and turn signals. I am convinced that all cars bought in Arizona have turn signals as a VERY expensive option that no one gets. Someone using a turn signal is an abnormality down here.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

6. fast and furiously stupid drivers who think any interstate is their personal race track - check mirrors often and hold your line.
7. crap and hip/slop car dj's blastin totally meaningless sounds - good opportunity to see whether your pipes are loud enuff?

Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 PM
anubisss
Banned

Agreed rebelRyder.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I hate drivers who do not signal turns or lane changes. Same with left lane drivers, cell phone users, and Mamas looking at their kids while talking to them and trying to drive. What else do I hate to see? Let's see. Downed bikers. Ride safe and watch out for those friggin non-bikers. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I hate modern 18 wheeler jockeys who never learned the rules of the road. End of rant.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

(car drivers are not aware that it takes a longer distance for a motorcycle to stop, and don't care either)
Uhhhh.....I'm not aware of that either. [8D]

Old 04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
anubisss
Banned

I stand corrected. Eyespy know his shiznit...

Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8. Your invisable

Quick Reply: If you ride a bike you know...