General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Legion Riders

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: American Legion Riders

Anyone here with the American Legion Pony Express yet?
http://www.alr135.org/

Salute,
Mark Wisecarver

Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wisemx

Anyone here with the American Legion Pony Express yet?
http://www.alr135.org/

Salute,
Mark Wisecarver
???????

Doexplain.....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Info here:
http://www.alr135.org/pe/

There's a Word document at the bottom of the page you can D/L. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
DvlDog
Intermediate

ALR Post 71 Clayton, NC

Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I would like to relate an issue that occured at my ALR Post, and see how others would feel about it.

Last fall, our 1st Post ALR President and Founding member of the ALR Post decided not to run for re-election to his position. He did agree to stay on as VP however.

A new President was elected, but about 3 months into his term, he (under pressure) voluntarily resigned,. Quite frankly, he had had too much on his plate, and just could not keep up. Upon hisresignation, the VP was promoted, again becoming Post ALR President.

Now, apparently, the state Confederation of Clubs had an issue with the Kansas ALR using a three piece patch. It had a rocker on top stating the Post Number, the ALR Emblem in the middle, and a STRAIGHT bar, (not rocker) on the bottom, indicating which City the wearer's particular ALR Post was in.Does this violate the three piece patch rule? Yes, somewhat it does, however it differed from the traditional three piecer, in that the bottom did NOT have a rocker, and nowhere on it, did ithave the "M/C"emblem.

Somehow, the previous President (yes, the one that was asked to resign) got the idea to allow the Confederation of Clubs to hold a meeting in the Legion Hall. I don't know if this was a regularly scheduled C of C meeting that had nothing at all to do with the American Legion, OR if it was scheduled, so they could discuss the three piece patch issue with the State ALR leadership or what.

Well, the end result, is that the State ALR Leadership has directed that all ALR members (in Kansas Anyway), remove the bottom Bar from their vest. NP I guess, but it's my vest....I paid for it. I paid for the Bar, and courtesy of 12 yrs in the Army, I EARNED the right to be an ALR member, and wear whatever emblems go along with it. Do I have a major issue with it? No, not at all, because unless you get into the technical differences between "rocker" and "bar", it DOES have the same basic design as the traditional M/C club patches.

The BIG Kicker to this? Apparently, at the start of the meeting, the "Host", who was a Hell's Angel got up on the podium, and issued THIS edict: "Before we get started, are there any Cops, C*nts, or N*gg*rs in here??" "If so, GET OUT".

I almost wish I would have attended, cuz quite frankly, I don't think I would have gone ANYWHERE. They were guests in OUR house. Who is HE to tell ME, a Member of the Legion hall that he was allowed to use for his meeting, that I cannot stay, cuz I am a Cop? Not hardly......not at their request. They would have had to carry me out, and I would have had cops all over that place within minutes. Now, had the ALR leadership asked me to leave, yes I would have, without a problem. THEY have authority in that building. NOT that guy that had been behind the podium.

My issue is this: They demand respect. Apparently SHOWING it, is not a requirement.

OK....Rant over.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALR Post 277, Boca Raton, Fl
Legionnaire,USN.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I would like to relate an issue that occured at my ALR Post, and see how others would feel about it.

Last fall, our 1st Post ALR President and Founding member of the ALR Post decided not to run for re-election to his position. He did agree to stay on as VP however.

A new President was elected, but about 3 months into his term, he (under pressure) voluntarily resigned,. Quite frankly, he had had too much on his plate, and just could not keep up. Upon hisresignation, the VP was promoted, again becoming Post ALR President.

Now, apparently, the state Confederation of Clubs had an issue with the Kansas ALR using a three piece patch. It had a rocker on top stating the Post Number, the ALR Emblem in the middle, and a STRAIGHT bar, (not rocker) on the bottom, indicating which City the wearer's particular ALR Post was in.Does this violate the three piece patch rule? Yes, somewhat it does, however it differed from the traditional three piecer, in that the bottom did NOT have a rocker, and nowhere on it, did ithave the "M/C"emblem.

Somehow, the previous President (yes, the one that was asked to resign) got the idea to allow the Confederation of Clubs to hold a meeting in the Legion Hall. I don't know if this was a regularly scheduled C of C meeting that had nothing at all to do with the American Legion, OR if it was scheduled, so they could discuss the three piece patch issue with the State ALR leadership or what.

Well, the end result, is that the State ALR Leadership has directed that all ALR members (in Kansas Anyway), remove the bottom Bar from their vest. NP I guess, but it's my vest....I paid for it. I paid for the Bar, and courtesy of 12 yrs in the Army, I EARNED the right to be an ALR member, and wear whatever emblems go along with it. Do I have a major issue with it? No, not at all, because unless you get into the technical differences between "rocker" and "bar", it DOES have the same basic design as the traditional M/C club patches.

The BIG Kicker to this? Apparently, at the start of the meeting, the "Host", who was a Hell's Angel got up on the podium, and issued THIS edict: "Before we get started, are there any Cops, C*nts, or N*gg*rs in here??" "If so, GET OUT".

I almost wish I would have attended, cuz quite frankly, I don't think I would have gone ANYWHERE. They were guests in OUR house. Who is HE to tell ME, a Member of the Legion hall that he was allowed to use for his meeting, that I cannot stay, cuz I am a Cop? Not hardly......not at their request. They would have had to carry me out, and I would have had cops all over that place within minutes. Now, had the ALR leadership asked me to leave, yes I would have, without a problem. THEY have authority in that building. NOT that guy that had been behind the podium.

My issue is this: They demand respect. Apparently SHOWING it, is not a requirement.

OK....Rant over.
Interesting....

Are you talking about the Kansas COC meeting that was held off 24 Highway in Topeka on July 28th?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup.

Since posting this, I have spoken to the ALR Pres, and he was p/o'd about the way the meeting was basically stuffed down his throat. Apparently, it was scheduled w/o his approval.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

Wow...

Missouri just embroiders the state at the bottom of the back patch. No top or bottom "rocker", "bar", whatever. When I joined, they said it was decided at the state to just avoid the whole issue. I don't disagree, it's probably not a hill worth dying on.

I see your point though, they were in your house and were largely disrepectfully of the many things the AL/ALR is proud to support.

Quick Reply: American Legion Riders