General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What temperature do you ride in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What temperature do you ride in?

If there ain't snow or ice on the ground, any temp will do.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Over the years I've developed the habit of not going out if it's less than 40*. Black ice is the main reason and even at 40 you have to be careful in shaded areas. You don'tride very far on ice!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have to wear more than a sweatshirt, I'm not ridin'.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This rule must really limit your riding in Tucson..... [8D] j/k.

ORIGINAL: whaap

Over the years I've developed the habit of not going out if it's less than 40*. Black ice is the main reason and even at 40 you have to be careful in shaded areas. You don'tride very far on ice!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Snobal
Tourer

I ride all year around if the roads are dry. Ice/snow is not much fun. I have lived in upstate New York, Ohio, Northern Utah, and Northern Nevada. Seems every time I plan a trip it snows. Got hung up in Colorado in June of '93 because they closed I-70 due to snow. Had enough of that crap!!! Moved to Arizona!

Went for a putt with some friends on Monday of this week and had to really dress in layers as it was a down to around 60 with I left the house at 7 A.M. Nice ride --- 450 miles, calm, and low 80's for a high. I'm loving living in Arizona.

Last week, the wife and I spent three days putting around southern California. Got so cold that we needed to wear something over out t-shirts in the morning. I had an extra hooded sweat shirt which I loaned to my wife so we could start riding before 10 A.M.

Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here in the So Cal mtns it gets fairly cold at night in winter -down into the20's fairly often in the wee hours of the morning. I ride as long as it's not right after a rain from earlier that evening that may now may have become ICEsince the temps have dipped below freezing. Our humidity is usually very low here, so it's not to hard to figure out if ice might be an issue... "did it rain last evening?" is the only thing you have to ask and that will tell you if black ice could be a problem in these mountain areas where I live. We dont get alot of rainy days though, so riding it is, all winter long. I justwear good warm gear and a full face helmet and it's not a problem.

coldmcrider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: petemac
I live in the Northeast and ride down to the teens(so far)with my heated gear. Cold temps aren't really the problem in winter, it's the snow and salt on the roads.
You got that right! Heated gear makes riding in the cold not only possible, but enjoyable as well.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with petemac[/align][/align]I also have heated and good rain gear[/align][/align]Forthe rainand cold I weara fullface modular helmet and put a thermometer on your bike that way you'll know whenit's near freezing temperature if it starts to rain.[/align][/align]

Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

I don't have heated gear, but generally ride if it's 30 or above and no rain/wet roads. That's what I have a truck for, although I don't necessarily like it...

Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 199 Posts

As a younger rider the temp. didn't bother me so much. Took off for Daytona one year and leaving home it was 37*. Got to Savannah, Ga. and it had warmed up to 45* with light rain and getting dark. That was on a bike without a windshield. I'd still rather ride on the cool side compared to the real hot days. Depends a lot on the type of bike and riding gear you have to wear I guess.

Quick Reply: What temperature do you ride in?