General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM
WilliamB16
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer - Any ideas?

Hi All - I just got my first bike (Iron 883) and I am now looking for a small enclosed trailer to store it in and for eventual towing. I only need it to fit one bike and would like to have a back door that opens down into a ramp. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on what I should also look for in a trailer and any companies/manufacturers that make good ones? I live in southern Connecticut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a smaller trailer it won't have brakes, a low maintenance option. You don't want a trailer with no brakes if your tow vehicle is at or near the weight limit with the trailer. Single axle means less tires, but a flat is less convenient. If you get a trailer with torsion axles it will be less bouncy, and sit lower typically. A used one means you can inspect it and see if it has a history of leaks and might come with tie down features without having to buy and install it yourself. If it doesn't have a spare, get one that fits and then you have to figure out if the jack in the tow vehicle works or will you need a separate one. Ditto for the lug wrench. If it is a used trailer, look and see how old the tires are, don't need to find out that 10 year old tires don't hack it at highway speed. For peace of mind, check and see that the wheel bearings are well lubed, in good shape and properly adjusted. Lastly, it needs to be well ventilated or you will get condensation on the bike. A solar powered rv vent fan helps in keeping the trailer dry. A cold bike in the trailer with moist warm air = wet bike.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Like this?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,664 Likes on 6,673 Posts

I have a 6' X 13' cargo craft trailer. The model is called Vector. It's a single axle, but has feet near the rear that deploy to keep the rear of the trailer up when it is not hooked to a tow vehicle and you are loading/unloading.

I paid around $2,800 for it around eight years ago.

I pull it with my Jeep, so it's not very heavy.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Make sure it has torsion axle,,,,best advise I can give you

Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Silly yuppies, trailers are for boats.......

Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,664 Likes on 6,673 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Silly yuppies, trailers are for boats.......
I don't trailer my bike to a rally or other events. I initially bought the trailer to use as a garage for my bike since I didn't have a garage at the time and was living in a trailer (now called a mobile home).

I have since moved into a regular house with a garage.

The trailer comes in handy when I am at the limits of my ability or time and need to take my bike to a shop and don't feel like riding the bike there and having to get a cab to get home. I live quietly alone, so it's easier to just put the bike in the trailer, bring it to the shop, unload it, then go pick it up when it is done.

The trailer also comes in handy to move furniture, or haul random things around.

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed Trailer - Any ideas?-image-4267983081.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I don't trailer my bike to a rally or other events. I initially bought the trailer to use as a garage for my bike since I didn't have a garage at the time and was living in a trailer (now called a mobile home).

I have since moved into a regular house with a garage.

The trailer comes in handy when I am at the limits of my ability or time and need to take my bike to a shop and don't feel like riding the bike there and having to get a cab to get home. I live quietly alone, so it's easier to just put the bike in the trailer, bring it to the shop, unload it, then go pick it up when it is done.

The trailer also comes in handy to move furniture, or haul random things around.
Everybody is your friend when you own...
1) truck
2) a trailer

BTW, nice JK..

Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy bigger. You will outgrow it eventually when you realize all the potential. I will be upgrading to a 16x7 soon. I outgrew a 12x6.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer - Any ideas?