General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration Project General Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,733 Likes on 2,336 Posts
Default Restoration Project General Advice Needed

For this off season, I want to restore / rebuild an old Knucklehead or Panhead the way I want. I always wanted to do this and at 52years old Im gonna knock off a bucket list item. I have 80-85% of the needed tools, I have the space. I even have an old salt of a friend who has built many many bike who said he'd lend me what tools I don't have and lend a hand when Im stuck. I'm selling my old Vette to fund the project and I have enough capitol to get started. I've restored a number of Vettes of everything other than internals and paint. I have a source to perform both, so essentially i'll be ready to start. Here's my questions..

* Am I completely insane going after a Knuck or a Pan as my 1st project?
* Should I cut my teeth on an early Shovel?
* SHould I go after a solid bike that needs minor love and paint or a total rebuilder (non basket case)

Im not going after a basket case but either a semi complete bike that needs to be torn down or a "complete" bike that needs some heavy love. Im also not performing a 100% bone original rebuild. And Im not worried about matching numbers but rather period correct numbers.

My end product will be either mild late 50s mid 60s light chopper or traditional Duo Glide / Cop Bike sorta thing.

Im expecting a 6 to 12 month effort.

Thoughts and opinions and please take the gloves off and let me have the cold honest answers.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Just a thought...I would post this in the classic section here. You would probably get more responses. Secondly, check out www.caimag.com . Totally devoted to old iron (though the majority prefer stock configuration but appreciate modified period correct)

Lastly, prices on knuckles in just about any condition are through the roof.When tghe economy took a dump about the only bikes not affected were knuckles and pre-war models. You might have better luck finding a pan at a reasonable price. And since you intend to modify it, why not just look for a motor and get a Pauchgo frame that you can build the way you want; definitely would be cheaper.

Final note, make sure you check the vin. Lots of bullshit numbers running around these days, especially on knuckles. Seems as though they are coming out of the wood work since the prices have climbed. Here is a very good website that will help (its free) http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php

Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,605 Likes on 4,182 Posts

Sounds like a great project. The only "problem" I can think of is with a fairly complete Pan or particularly, a Knuckle, you're probably going to have to dish out some serious cash just for the frame and motor. An early Shovel would be much cheaper.

If you really have a Pan or Knuck in mind (and I can't blame you), you need to make a trip out my way here in eastern Pa. I can hook you up with a guy who is great with restorations and old pan/knuck bobbers and he has many sources for bikes/parts. probably be a great place to start.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,249 Likes on 1,183 Posts

what is the ultimate goal. Are you building for enjoyment? and to ride yourself? or to resell and try and make a profit? I flip a bike or two a year, and if doing for profit, stay away from the pan/knuck and "maybe" shovel....good, original parts are hard to find and expensive. Evo's and twin cams are easy to find great "take off" parts for cheap If you're building for yourself, and plan on keeping a while. Pan/Knucks are awesome and easy to work on. and for the most part, a "normal" toolbox will have almost everything you need When you start, make sure to take pictures and post here

Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Default The object

Im not building this to flip or resell. This one is for me and I want to hold onto it for a long while. Im going to build this to ride as a second or 3rd bike. Odds are im going to build the DuoGlide / Cop bike sorta thing. Its more my speed. Im not worried if I have a 48 motor on a 46 trans on a 51 frame as long as its "period correct". The only thing I could see my self maybe making a concession on is the frame and may go after market. Back when I was a little kid in the early 60s my uncle had a Late 50s pan glide and always wanted one. He became a NYC moto-cop. The sin with that bike is my cousin has it sitting in his basement as a static display...

I thought of putting this in the old iron section of the forum but its broken down by motor type so I thought I may get more views here and Big thank you for the magazine suggestion and parts hook up!

I was out at the Vegas auction last year and the Knuck prices were INSANE. Pan prices were pretty reasonable. Im still doing the math of dollars in vs. dollars when done and the funny thing, PROVIDED the market holds, the Knuck could be a better value.

Then Im gonna dress up like Marlon Brando, become a 50s style badass pirate, join the Boozefighters, get on the cover of... lol.. Just kidding..

Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,605 Likes on 4,182 Posts

Uncle,
Talk to Marc of Cycle Vintique. 484-226-7721

Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Default AJ

Thanks man, ill buzz him after the holiday!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Good luck on you project, Kebo! Post pictures as you go, I would like to watch.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey Mac, Im still plotting and sceaming but I suspect by 8/1, ill be in the hunt if not already deep into it. My indy has a line on a 60 glide but the guy wont get real with his price. Its a cond 5+ or a 4- bike that needs a full teardown and all cosmetics. Its unrideable and he wants 16k. I havent sucked that many fumes yet so im not even having a conversation with the guy...

Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,249 Likes on 1,183 Posts

good deals are out there if you are patient and have cash to act quick.

I just missed out on this bike. not perfect, but a great foundation to build on

It was on craigslist on a tuesday for $9000. I told him I'd be down saturday with a trailer (couple hundred miles away and could break free of work) Spoke to him Thursday and someone local scooped it up.

Quick Reply: Restoration Project General Advice Needed