General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After riding with no helmet for 10 years....I bought one

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After riding with no helmet for 10 years....I bought one

Never like wearing a lid, period. Now that my daughter is 4 years old I started to worry daddy won't make it home one day over my own ignorance. That little girl is the reason I breath and if I stop breathing on a roadside somewhere she won't understand. So daddy is stepping up and doing what a man has to do....protect his children. Even if he's protecting them from his own ego.

So I ride my 2002 dyna wide glide to the dealer to check the helmets out. First suggestion was a half helment....no ma'am I'll pass. Then I saw this awesome3/4 helmet with face shield AND retractable sun vision. Tried it on and flipped down the f16 fighter pilot sun lense and then lowered the full clean while over that. Now that is cool!

Needless to say I bought it and rode home wearing it. It fit so well, good cooling , and real comfortable. Running the full shield was great keeping harsh wind off your face. Then popping down the fighter pilot sun lenses literally make you look like a military pilot. Hell yea I can deal with that! Best of all it protects most of my head very well. A lot more than a skull cap. I refuse to wear those things.

I recommend you guys try one of these sometime. It was a scary idea untill I tried it but now I love it. And if I go down at least there's a chance that little girl will still have her daddy

Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Sounds like the HJC I bought last year. Same reasons.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

don't get overconfident , there's a lot of other parts that can get damaged and kill you besides your head , and even a helmet isn't a guarantee .
but this is a good move . hopefully you'll never need it though

Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

In the 70s, I only wore one when there was a law for it. And without a face shield. Now, I never ride without it and it has a face shield. With the bugs, I don't know how I managed before.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 PM
amasoniii
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually don't wear one, but I never bust anybody's ***** for wearing one. As pointed out though, don't let it make you feel more protected. I can recount plenty of stories where people had a helmet (even full face) and had no chance in hell of surviving. Similarly, I can come up with stories where a helmet saved someone from dying or would have if they were wearing one. The survival stories usually involve slow speed accidents. People can debate all day the liklihood of a helmet saving you, if you crash solo (like on a race track where all are moving in the same direction and it will only be bikes running over you), then yes, 99 times out of 100 the helmet is going to save you. If a car cuts over on a 45-55 mph road and hits you head on, you're probably dead despite the helmet. Point is, focus on your kiddo when riding, because riding defensively is far better protection than a helmet or other gear...the gear is the hail mary to save you.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever drop a watermelon on the side walk..?
I've worn my helmet for 45 yrs...always will. But I feel anyone should be free to make their own choice.

The following users liked this post:
Ripplingh2o (04-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm confident that I'm better off than I was before.

I rarely drive faster than 55mph. I'm a cruiser and defensive driver. I enjoy the scenery and not pushing the limit around twisters ect. One reason I never wore a helmet. But wearing this nice 3/4 increases my odds but I know it's not full proof. But at 55mph I think I got a good chance. One of the 80-90mph guys maybe not

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 07-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 PM
amasoniii
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck (80's chevy pickup) doing 55-60, cuts into lane, locks up brakes for 60 some feet, bike doing 55 in oncoming lane. Biker wearing full face helmet...closed casket and they never found her hand. Her foot also came off in the collision. Husband who was 2-3 bike lengths behind her managed to cut over and safely stop.

Car doing 55 cuts over on bike doing the same. Husband and wife on the bike wearing half helmets dead on impact.

So, 55 is still deadly, helmet or not. It does help when banging your head on pavement however.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
I'm confident that I'm better off than I was before.

I rarely drive faster than 55mph. I'm a cruiser and defensive driver. I enjoy the scenery and not pushing the limit around twisters ect. One reason I never wore a helmet. But wearing this nice 3/4 increases my odds but I know it's not full proof. But at 55mph I think I got a good chance. One of the 80-90mph guys maybe not
At 10-35MPH you have a chance. At 55 not so much. Helmets are effective in slow speed crashes. High speed stops cause internal injuries and compound fractures. I know you "feel" like you are doing something for your daughter but anything other than driving in a car is still taking a huge risk. Motorcycles are just as dangerous with all the gear as not. I would not forget that,

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I think you dun well, JohnnyReb. Family first.

I tried my first 3/4 about the time I bought my Slim and realized 1/2 helmets were not very good. Never knew what I was missing after riding with 1/2s for 15 years.

Now I'm pretty much a full face convert after finding one I really like.

Helmets are made well these days. Might as well take advantage of the good stuff available.

Quick Reply: After riding with no helmet for 10 years....I bought one