General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
07hog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $

Hey Just a word of warning...

I just purchased the CobraUSA Fi2000 PowerPro Tuner (onAmazon from PowerSportSuperStore)
The installation (Following the very simple installinstructions) on my 2007 Road King caused a blown ECM per the Tech at SoundHarley.

The products my work but if you get in trouble Cobra'spolicy is no refunds. Amazon won't step in and PSSS can't do anything per theircontract.

I am stuck with a suspect tuner that Cobra won't refund orswap and bills for repairs (Total $972)

Don't risk it. See my story at www.consumertools.net
THX
Greg

Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,404 Likes on 2,587 Posts

pinwall cycle has used 07 touring ecm's for 220 or so.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:19 PM
jlp29
Intermediate

What were the symptoms that lead to the blown ECM? Kind of way out there but years ago had a new truck that I had a hypertech programmer and when I had to take it to the dealer they said the PCM was fried and had it replaced under warranty.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 3,374 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Good to read your spreading the word, as this should save others from unnecessary financial burden.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any kind of piggyback tuner runs the risk of doing damage to the ECM as it does feed into the ECM on a constant basis. Not likely but possible.
This is the very reason I prefer flash tuners as opposed to piggyback tuners.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Duplicate post

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

I have that same tuner on my 2013 Limited I installed it 3 weeks after I bought the bike, now 1 year and 7,500 miles later no problems whatsoever, are you sure that you hooked it up right I know of at least 5 people that have this tuner on their bikes and none of them have ever had any problems some have been on for over 3 years, just saying maybe it got hooked up wrong. I have talked with Cobra and they have told me that if I ever had any problems to send the unit back and they would replace or refund my money. I also bought mine from powersport super store along with over $3,000.00 of other parts and have never had any problems with them.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM
07hog
Novice
Default Thanks all

The whole story is at www.consumertools.net but...

Bike: 07 RKCustom, (Post 2006 ECN calibration update) (SE mufflers / SE air intake)

(Attemptedto install Cobra 692-1608AT)

Tech Notes and Results:
The bike wasrunning OK prior to install… At first start after install I had a sold checkengine light…

Found 2codes (P0264 - Rear injector high and P0263 - Rear injector low)

After tryingreseats and reinstall… code P0263 persisted and the bike was only feeding thefront injector

Cobra’ssuggestions… run it a bit and see if it smooth’s out (Yea right you run yourbike on 1 cylinder)

Removedtuner and the problems persisted and per Cobra’s next recommendation… (Youshould have that fixed) I had local dealer fix it ($533 to replace “Blown ECM”)

Also had thedealer download stage 1 tuning… running great

The instructions were real simple and according the TFS and Cobra techs, the only things they have insinuated I might have done are... I dropped the ECM on the floor (Hmmmm removing the ECM isn't part of the instruction?) Also, I might have connected the tuner to the positive batt. terminal. (I assure you due to the big red cover over the positive, many years of experience with circuitry and very clear instructions not to... that didn't happen either).

Bottom line, I followed the instructions line for line and something that they can't explain happened.

In the end, If Cobra would step up and say we don't know what happened but let's make it right.. I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Quote from Andre at Cobra "We are a factory, we are not set up to send money out. No refunds"

Advice: get that promise in writing first.

Thanks again for the discussion
G

Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

If Cobra's product is functioning properly how can you expect a refund from them, that's like buying a TV and popping a circuit breaker then unplugging the TV resetting the breaker and ask for your money back on the TV without ever trying it out again. I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Cobra and PowerSport Super store, I believe that maybe your ecm was going bad and the install of the tuner just made it go. I am sorry to hear of your problems but to lay blame on all 3 of these companies seems a bit extreme on your part.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Spider0408
Banned
Received 252 Likes on 131 Posts

I guess that's the aftermarket business for you.

Quick Reply: CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $