General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had 8 Power Commanders in 8 different bikes ranging from Italian L-twins to inline 4s and have always been very satisfied.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
You going to back that up???
Why would I have to back it up my Cobra tuner works fine. I'm not the one with the problems and unwilling to try the unit a 2nd time.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang.....kinda glad I haven't gone down that road yet...Maybe I will look @ other options first....Thanks for the info...

Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry you had some problems...seems like someone should have stepped up and either provided a new tuner, checked the bad tuner at the factory, or refunded your money at a minimum.

Not to hijack the thread, but when I hear stories like this I'm glad I have a carb bike and don't have to hassle with all the electronics.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
it worked great except for starting. What was once a fire on first compression became a crank and crank and crank affair. I asked if they could do anything like make it only work once the bike was running since their claim was that a unit like that is a parasite to the electrical system. Their answer was no but refunded full purchase price.
i know it's all over and done, but you could have had your 'fire on first crank' back if you had just pressed the start button before your cel went out. the electrical systems were changed in 07, once you let the light go out, the power to the dynojet pc was shut off. when you hit the start button, the pc had to re-initialize. that's what took so long for your bike to fire.

there is no reason to wait for the cel to go out. many people have read into the manual something that is not there. it does not say to wait for it to go out, but only that it will illuminate for app. 5 seconds.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried that trick. It made no difference. Well, maybe some. Instead of cranking for 5 minutes it would just crank for 4. Now that isn't actual. Just a best can do comparison. It still would not fire on first crank no matter how quick I hit the switch. I had read that seemed to work for some. Just didn't work for my 07.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I think OP's just trying to push traffic to consumertools.net site...

Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM
07hog
Novice
Default Reply

ALUCARD19, They have been quite clear... they hold the cards... They give no refunds. In your scenario I would just own 2 suspect tuners and 2 fried ECM's I lose again. No thanks,

Iceman24... consumertools.net is just a site I created as a place to put my story because it is so long and On Facebook and Twitter you have to have another place for it, there was no place to put it so I could point people to it. It was cheap and easy so, I went ahead and built it as a place that others can use but I am not looking for money or anything like that. I just think people should have ways to even the playing field. I'll keep it up here as long as it is cheap and easy to maintain.

What I world appreciate most is for people to talk to the vendors and let them know that this stuff isn't acceptable. Send them a note that says I don't like it or one that says I bought elsewhere because your policies suck or I'm concerned about this...

Last edited by 07hog; 07-17-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-17-2014, 03:32 PM
07hog
Novice
Default Oh and...

Doing business with a company shouldn't be so hard.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I trust HD shops about as far as I can throw them. Their answer to fixing problems anymore is changing parts til the problem goes away.

My questions to you are;
1. Does the receipt from HD for the replacement of the "suspect" ECM or any other documentation from HD state specifically that the Cobra Tuner caused the ECM to fail. If that's the case you most certainly have an issue with Cobra to handle for you and as long as you have documentation, they have no choice but to make it right.

2. Do you still maintain possession of the "suspect" ECM? If not, I would go back and get it and make sure you're getting the ECM that was on your bike and not some ECM that was thrown in a junk parts bin in the back of the shop. Make them hook it up and verify that ECM is married to your specific VIN #. Again. If you have these items, Cobra has no choice but to make it right.

Power Sports Superstore, I've bought from for years and policies are policies. Once that device was installed, they can do nothing for you and you have to go directly to the manufacturer with issues. They are simply a parts reseller.

And let me make it perfectly clear so there's no doubt; I have nothing to do with this company or it's products and I don't own a Cobra Tuner, have never tuned with one, nor have I ever dealt with that company. My choice in tuning has always been flash tuners, and more specifically TTS.

Quick Reply: CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $