General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you ever get your parts back, find someone that can test the cobra tuner and tell you whether or not it is working properly...it might be fine. the bike is an '07 and the ecm could have failed any way. i do not see where amazon or power sports owes you anything...they did not make the product and the only warranty would be the one the maker furnishes. they are strictly middlemen trying to make a few bucks.

in the mean time, you have possibly damaged the good name of three well known companies that possibly did nothing wrong. let us know what an independent testing facility comes up with whether or not the cobra tuner works as intended. that would be a good starting point. if the tuner is bad, cobra owes you a new tuner and another 7 year old ecm. pretty simple really. if the tuner is working properly, then you need to apologize to everyone involved.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM
07hog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ALUCARD19... If you added a tuner to your bike and your ECM blew... (Very easy install - nothing weird) and you had to replace the ECM... would try that tuner again on the new ECM knowing that if it happened again you would pay again? I did not want to risk the new ECM... They could have at east sent a different tuner but chose not to.

So the tuner is now junk (Who wants it? Who would risk it?)

Hey if you want to try it its yours for $425

Bottom line: there are 2 kinds of companies... those who I would bend over backwards to buy from because of their reputation and those I would avoid for the same reason, Cobra couldn't explain what happened and choose not to help at all... People just need to know that they give no refunds "period" and if things go wrong you are on your own (Cost me $1000 to find out) Amazon and PSSS choose to sell this stuff then run from problems... people need to know that too.

The cost of new customer acquisition is not cheap and for a company to not step up and help at least a little, is quite short sided... not a company to deal with.

g

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
07hog
Novice

Dan, I looked at the option of re-trying the tuner when I got the bike repaired... I wasn't willing to risk the new ECM because Cobra did the testing and couldn't explain what happened. You are welcome to try it on your bike...

The Harley tech (And other techs on a few forums say they see this kind of thing now and then with tuners and say that some companies step up and some don't - I'm not alone) he didn't want to try it on any other bike either.

Cobra wouldn't even replace it with an unopened box that I could try with the new ECM or at least sell for a loss (Nobody's gonna buy this one)...

PSSS and Amazon sold this to me and say there's nothing they can do because Cobra doesn't offer any refunds on opened boxes... That's another thing people should know... you can sell anything on Amazon with no responsibility. People at least need to think twice about that.

This wasn't a cheap breaker... this was a $1000 lesson. It's not right.

G

Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't do business with them. I tried a Dyna-Jet from Fuel Moto and it worked great except for starting. What was once a fire on first compression became a crank and crank and crank affair. I asked if they could do anything like make it only work once the bike was running since their claim was that a unit like that is a parasite to the electrical system. Their answer was no but refunded full purchase price. I sent Cobra an email asking if their unit did the same thing, could I return for full refund. Their answer. Nope! It's yours once we have your money. I paraphrased that last part but that was it in a nutshell. So I got a Vigilanty from SuperChips. It is just a little bit better than the Harley Stage 1 at a fraction the cost. But even SuperChips admits there is something different about 07 bikes. I do have an odd cruise control issue they are looking into but have made me 100% satisfied anyway. I've learned a trick dealing with the issue that works until or if they ever figure out why just 07's seem to be affecting. I'm glad I didn't even try the Cobra now.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Here ya go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Harley-Da...82e435&vxp=mtr

My feelings are this. I feel Cobra products are meant for the Metric world as Kuryakyn parts are as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is bound to be an independent testing facility that can verify whether or not it works properly. if cobra has a written policy not to give refunds on electrical parts...then that is the warranty you have to work with. as sophisticated as ecm's are, i am a little surprised that they(the ecm) cannot tell you what caused the failure.

cobra says they have tested it on other bikes with no problems. would cobra be willing to replace a new ecm if it also burns out---after proper tuner installation by an authorized dealer/agent of their choosing??

Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
07hog
Novice

Right on Hogcowboy

Thanks Dresserdude but the ECM has already been replace by Sound Harley... and they said they don't touch the Cobra stuff because they don't trust it. (But they do deal with some others)

Dan, Cobra is not willing to work with me any further... They verified the ECM is bad and said they found no problem with the tuner... Their advertisements call it "plug-in performance" insinuating that its easy to do yourself. It's not till you buy it that in the instructions it recommends you have it installed by a pro but, that doesn't mean that they will offer a refund. If they were willing to allow an independent to try it I would be all in. But who would pay if it went wrong? Heck they wouldn't even off a replacement tuner.

I just can't find anyone who will put it on another bike without a guarantee of $... I've already paid $1000 to get here. SOL

Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

The problem here is that you cannot prove the Cobra unit is at fault.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07hog
So ALUCARD19... If you added a tuner to your bike and your ECM blew... (Very easy install - nothing weird) and you had to replace the ECM... would try that tuner again on the new ECM knowing that if it happened again you would pay again? I did not want to risk the new ECM... They could have at east sent a different tuner but chose not to.

So the tuner is now junk (Who wants it? Who would risk it?)

Hey if you want to try it its yours for $425

Bottom line: there are 2 kinds of companies... those who I would bend over backwards to buy from because of their reputation and those I would avoid for the same reason, Cobra couldn't explain what happened and choose not to help at all... People just need to know that they give no refunds "period" and if things go wrong you are on your own (Cost me $1000 to find out) Amazon and PSSS choose to sell this stuff then run from problems... people need to know that too.

The cost of new customer acquisition is not cheap and for a company to not step up and help at least a little, is quite short sided... not a company to deal with.

g
I do have a Cobra tuner on my bike and it works fine. Don't forget that your ECM is over 7 years old things wear out. And I would reinstall it on my bike and if the 2nd ECM fried then I would send it and the tuner back to Cobra and I can tell you they would refund /and or replace the 2nd ECM and replace the tuner.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALUCARD19
I do have a Cobra tuner on my bike and it works fine. Don't forget that your ECM is over 7 years old things wear out. And I would reinstall it on my bike and if the 2nd ECM fried then I would send it and the tuner back to Cobra and I can tell you they would refund /and or replace the 2nd ECM and replace the tuner.
You going to back that up???

Quick Reply: CobraUSA Tuner fried my ECM - Big $