General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This day almost ALL sucked

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 PM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Rode down to the three sisters a few months ago, and ended up damn near in Mexico just tooling around. Coming back I thought I knew where I was, but hell no, took a wrong turn and ended up lost. Pulled over, pulled out my iPhone, hit maps, found out where I was and in fact was only 1/2 mile from a FM Road that took me right where I needed to be. I was only lost about 2 minutes, which was quickly rectified.

I'm an old school cat. That was the first time I used my smart phone to help me out, and it worked great. Technology is pretty sweet if you know how to use it...
That's great, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM
SquirtGun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...All in all, here was my point....I purchased an Ultra Limited with an Infotainment system with GPS/Radio/Media/Bluetooth. There is a web site called Ride Planner on the HD site...The way it's advertised is you go to the Ride Planner on the website and plan out your ride. You can customize it to take backroads and change the route on the fly. Once you are satisfied with the route, you download it to the Bike's Infotainment POS. Then when you start the route it should take you to the points that you mapped on your computer at home... The frustration I had was the fact that the POS doesn't work as advertised. I did have a destination. I did want the technology. Now, not so sure!...Because the Bluetooth and GPS do not work correctly and there are many bugs in this POS. And yes, there is nothing wrong with just going anywhere and enjoying a ride...Do it a lot...But this time there were things I wanted to see along the route. Hope this clears things up.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I'm not usually the type to puff up my chest and tell people how "old school" I am on an internet forum.

That said, I really don't understand why you'd want a bunch of useless electronic distractions on your motorcycle. It's dangerous, one. Second, I get enough of that electronic junk off the bike.

I usually just look up the route and try to remember it, keeping in mind the streets or makers that will tell me when a turn is coming up, or if I've missed a turn.
Yep this one....

Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I'm not usually the type to puff up my chest and tell people how "old school" I am on an internet forum.

That said, I really don't understand why you'd want a bunch of useless electronic distractions on your motorcycle. It's dangerous, one. Second, I get enough of that electronic junk off the bike.

I usually just look up the route and try to remember it, keeping in mind the streets or makers that will tell me when a turn is coming up, or if I've missed a turn.
Yep, enjoying the ride. I ride to clear my brain, de-stress, and just all around be friggin happy