General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This day almost ALL sucked

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
There's nothing wrong with a GPS or any technology that can help you. Heck, most of us have a smartphone. Do you leave that at home when you go for a ride. I bet you don't. I have a GPS but I'm glad I don't have that "infotainment system" FUBAR.

The problem as I see it is a dependency on the technology. When the technology stops you from just going for a motorcycle ride and having some fun, then it's time to step back and figure out who captaining the ship; you or the chick inside the GPS.
All this.

I tried to read the OP, but all I could see were complaints about technology. I'm confused as to whether the OP actually went for an enjoyable ride at all. If all you want to do is have a great ride, then switch it all off, run till the tank is half-empty. Then switch the GPS on and tell it to "go home" and you'll get back without having to fill up again. A winning formula for me.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I tape a route to my tank and go. I'm a pinball kinda guy.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Klarick
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Is this what Motorcycling has turned into?
My Gawd, I hope not.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
There's nothing wrong with a GPS or any technology that can help you.

The problem as I see it is a dependency on the technology. When the technology stops you from just going for a motorcycle ride and having some fun, then it's time to step back and figure out who captaining the ship; you or the chick inside the GPS.
Exactly. I'll use google maps, paper maps, ideas from this forum or another to plan a ride before I leave, but all I take on the road are a few paper maps. My AAA membership gets me all the maps I can use, from an overview of the whole country down to county and city level maps that show local roads you won't see on a gas station map.

Sometimes the plan gets changed in the middle of a ride too, if we see an interesting road or hear about one at a stop.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually just run my GPS in the map display mode on the way out. Keeps me from taking some road that ends and turns into dirt. It allows me to go places I never thought of going and not having to worry about how to get home. I just hit the home button. Works great for me.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
To the OP's point, one of the reasons I bought my 14 Ultra Limited was because of all the options in the infotainment system. It didn't take long though for me to realize it was one seriously dangerous piece of technology. It was just like texting while driving. What I've found is that the XM radio is absolute crap, the GPS is mediocre at best and overall it's not really worth it. Now I have a great bike with a system I barely use. Now if I get lost, well, that's half the fun.
I've been using the hell out of my XM radio on my 14 Ultra Classic. Same with the GPS. No problems at all. I must have got one of the better built ones!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,080 Likes on 17,943 Posts

Originally Posted by byrdman.45
No GPS, no infotainment center what ever it is. Just a $4 paper map.
Fkn-A ..............

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,866 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I was getting ready for a ride dressed ATGATT and reviewed the paper maps but I went to fold the maps up and couldn't get the fricken' map folded on all the creases right. Tried three times still no luck, took off the ATGATT, went in the house and just cried in my glass of milk with my cookies. (sic) You live in Mass. and know your roads yet? Rant over.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Viaqua
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am really, really lost and low on fuel I may use the GPS on the phone to get me to a gas station so I can get lost again..

Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,602 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Rode down to the three sisters a few months ago, and ended up damn near in Mexico just tooling around. Coming back I thought I knew where I was, but hell no, took a wrong turn and ended up lost. Pulled over, pulled out my iPhone, hit maps, found out where I was and in fact was only 1/2 mile from a FM Road that took me right where I needed to be. I was only lost about 2 minutes, which was quickly rectified.

I'm an old school cat. That was the first time I used my smart phone to help me out, and it worked great. Technology is pretty sweet if you know how to use it...

Quick Reply: This day almost ALL sucked