General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This day almost ALL sucked

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,096 Likes on 8,677 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Sad. My "infotainment" is listening to the pipes and watching the scenery go by.
, Uh W T F is "infotainment"?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
pab3rd
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
I never think of it being lost, but I been to a lot places I hadn't planned to go to. sometimes they are the best.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts

I think that the "infotainment" has it's place at home!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 672 Posts

There's nothing wrong with a GPS or any technology that can help you. Heck, most of us have a smartphone. Do you leave that at home when you go for a ride. I bet you don't. I have a GPS but I'm glad I don't have that "infotainment system" FUBAR.

The problem as I see it is a dependency on the technology. When the technology stops you from just going for a motorcycle ride and having some fun, then it's time to step back and figure out who's captaining the ship; you or the chick inside the GPS.

Last edited by MikeBel; 06-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These Route Sheet Holders are great for the manual mode!

https://www.denniskirk.com/409057.sk...FWrl7AodTxMAIA

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I can see the OP point here.
I never really used the GPS on my 14 limited...didn't really like it very much...just not for me.
Guess im still the "check Rand McNally road atlas" kind of guy...but I did upgrade, now its to the my 1st gen Ipad!

I do have access to a softail CVO and it has the road tech Zumo and I thought, "great, another thing I wont use".

But I changed my mind...this one is very easy to use and looks great. Its mounted on a pretty good eye level.

I also put on my ipod but rather have the stock boom audio.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think GPS is an excellent invention and no traveler should be without it.

HOWEVER! Not all GPS receivers are created equal. They all receive the same signal, but not all of them have accurate maps installed. That sort of digital slapdashery also seems to spill over into the software used on your computer to map out routes etc.

The Garmin 660 (Harley's Road Tech unit) is a very, very average device. The maps are OK, but the unit itself is super slow to update when going from one map segment to another - several times I've been presented with a half-formed image on the screen when navigating junctions etc.

Next time I'm going to get a TomTom - the TT unit I used to have was excellent.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not usually the type to puff up my chest and tell people how "old school" I am on an internet forum.

That said, I really don't understand why you'd want a bunch of useless electronic distractions on your motorcycle. It's dangerous, one. Second, I get enough of that electronic junk off the bike.

I usually just look up the route and try to remember it, keeping in mind the streets or makers that will tell me when a turn is coming up, or if I've missed a turn.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I'm not usually the type to puff up my chest and tell people how "old school" I am on an internet forum.

That said, I really don't understand why you'd want a bunch of useless electronic distractions on your motorcycle. It's dangerous, one. Second, I get enough of that electronic junk off the bike.

I usually just look up the route and try to remember it, keeping in mind the streets or makers that will tell me when a turn is coming up, or if I've missed a turn.
Me too on this. I don't even want to hear music, much less look at a screen.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love taking 2 lane roads when I travel. No GPS, just a map tucked away just in case. I missed 2 turns last week on a trip from MIchigan to Chattanooga on US127. One mistake took me along the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. Nice ride for about 20 extra miles. Very scenic. The other mistake took me right past the Kentucky Speedway as a bunch of the Nascar busses and trailers were pulling in. Ya just never know what will happen next. Retirement Rocks!

Quick Reply: This day almost ALL sucked