General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $1 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

How long has the bike sat? and were the plugs still in it? I wouldn't worry about lubing the cylinders as there's going to be oil in the crankcase you couldn't drain that'll get splashed anyway. Snap a picture of the oil the oil pump & lines & I'll be able to tell you if it's been modified or not. If the primaries the sealed system any primary lube is fine, Scamsoil is over priced.

PS Use photobucket or another online photo service the pictures are bigger and nowhere near the hassle the forums system is.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
danwoods
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
How long has the bike sat? and were the plugs still in it? I wouldn't worry about lubing the cylinders as there's going to be oil in the crankcase you couldn't drain that'll get splashed anyway. Snap a picture of the oil the oil pump & lines & I'll be able to tell you if it's been modified or not. If the primaries the sealed system any primary lube is fine, Scamsoil is over priced.

PS Use photobucket or another online photo service the pictures are bigger and nowhere near the hassle the forums system is.
I was told the bike sat for 6 years with the plugs in.

I would usually agree with you on the oil but I'm getting wholesale price. Not too bad.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck and have fun. I restored a 69 Chevelle many years ago. It was a long process, years but it was fun

Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck and have fun. I restored a 69 Chevelle many years ago. It was a long process, years but it was fun
My father in law had a 1969 396 it was a beast. I just hope this resto is cheaper than his.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Picked up my fuel lines from a local shop and decided before I put them on that I'd pull the Petcock to inspect the fuel filter. I'm glad I did. It was shot. Now I have to replace that and I will put an inline filter between the Petcock and carb.

Attached Thumbnails The alt= Harley-image.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Got motivated and pulled the rear fender and sissy bar. I'm going to chop the rear fender and sell off the rest.

Attached Thumbnails The alt= Harley-image.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sat for 6 years? That's nothing. I've seen Harleys sit for a lot longer than that and with a little (very little) TLC, start up and run down the road. I mean, change the plugs and fluids, put fresh gas in it, charge the battery and fire right up. Harleys are great!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blue SOG
Sat for 6 years? That's nothing. I've seen Harleys sit for a lot longer than that and with a little (very little) TLC, start up and run down the road. I mean, change the plugs and fluids, put fresh gas in it, charge the battery and fire right up. Harleys are great!
I really hope you are right.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by danwoods
Got motivated and pulled the rear fender and sissy bar. I'm going to chop the rear fender and sell off the rest.

__________ Nice I Likes Chopped Fenders .

Old 06-30-2014, 05:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by danwoods
Can I suggest you pick up another fender to hash up and put all the stock stuff away somewhere, it's worth money now and down the road when the dinky fender trend fads that stock stuff will be like gold. Trust me on that one , those were only made 2 years 82 & 83 be a crying shame to trash it and your resale will be considerably higher with all the OEM parts to go with even if they aren't on the bike.

Quick Reply: The $1 Harley