General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $1 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 PM
danwoods
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 3. Present to myself

Saw a super sale. I also drilled out the points cover and successfully got that off.

Attached Thumbnails The alt= Harley-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I sure wouldn't want the latest HF standard bike jack (black, the yellow one is gone), but I sure like that hi lift, it's a back saver for an old guy. Only downside is it won't move with a bike on it, but if it's gonna have to be moved, I've got both kinds, handy when you have several bikes - like here, pulled the 1200's wheels, and the 883 promptly ate a wire under the rear fender, had to lower the wheel a few inches to reach it. Ain't the first time, ain't always Harleys, seems all my vehicles like to get worked on in pairs.

The hi lift even works good for short folks...

Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Originally Posted by Imold
I sure wouldn't want the latest HF standard bike jack (black, the yellow one is gone), but I sure like that hi lift, it's a back saver for an old guy. Only downside is it won't move with a bike on it, but if it's gonna have to be moved, I've got both kinds, handy when you have several bikes - like here, pulled the 1200's wheels, and the 883 promptly ate a wire under the rear fender, had to lower the wheel a few inches to reach it. Ain't the first time, ain't always Harleys, seems all my vehicles like to get worked on in pairs.

I agree with you on the hf quality but this setup seemed pretty solid. I'm not sure I'll take it up 40" but it will work for pulling wheels and suspension.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold

I bet the little guy loves getting his hands all greasy

Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Tuco069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, want to make 100 times your initial investment!!!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by danwoods
I agree with you on the hf quality but this setup seemed pretty solid. I'm not sure I'll take it up 40" but it will work for pulling wheels and suspension.
The sporties are nice and solid up there, but thinking about welding some more metal down there at the bottom of that vertical post before I try putting the Glide all the way up with all it's parts attached.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FriendlyDawg
I bet the little guy loves getting his hands all greasy
Well, not really... and when he drops something, it lands right in the oil just like the ones grandpa drops.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM
danwoods
Advanced
Default Day 4

Bought the hd manual. A guy I work with is an amsoil rep, I gave him lots of my money. Tomorrow I am putting in my shopping list for a few hundred in parts. This will soon be like Christmas.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Run straight 50 or 60wt oil in that bike, not 20-50 the shovelhead lifters do not like multi weight oil, also they don't do well with synthetics it'll start leaking from everywhere. I'm an old shovelhead mechanic for what it's worth.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Run straight 50 or 60wt oil in that bike, not 20-50 the shovelhead lifters do not like multi weight oil, also they don't do well with synthetics it'll start leaking from everywhere. I'm an old shovelhead mechanic for what it's worth.
Well, then since you are here, what do you recommend for coating a cylinder prior to startup?
I was also going to run amsoil sae60.
What's best oil for the primary?

Quick Reply: The $1 Harley