General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $1 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 PM
nightmistautomotive
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by danwoods
I completely agree. I had to repair a few of the wires, the harness is pretty solid. The only wires that need repair will be from the ignition timing.
Good deal, nothing sucks worse then the "um, what's that smell" feeling you get when you know something is about to burst into flames. Been there, done that, lost the eyebrows lol

Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

They just seem to be the standard upgrade. I ended up making my own spring and now the choke works no problem. I did put a k&n filter on it. But I am still up $600 or so.
Kool, keep it up

Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM
danwoods
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies in 3rd gear.

I took the bike out for a little run. While I was out I could tell there was a noticeable change in the exhaust note. The exhaust "pop" went to a deep thud. Now when I shift through the gears, first is fine, second is... Ok. Third gear would cause the bike to die. Like it wouldn't engage in the transmission. The bike would die. I was able to start it while rolling. Again, I limped it back home. Now, it's back to the manual. Suggestions?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Marc Leigh Williams
6th Gear
Default have to admit

Yup. Out of gas.
I too have fallen victim this, I spent 20 minutes troubleshooting carb setup/idle screw etc. before pulling the fuel line off just to discover there was no fuel coming out of the line... sigh

Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
danwoods
Advanced
Default With every solution, another problem.

Alright. I figured out why the bike didn't like 3rd gear. The transmission was completely dry. The previous owner must have drained it for storage. I'm very nervous that I rode it as far as I did with a dry trans. We shall see.

I filled the trans.

Now I feel that the lunging and dying are from ELECTRICAL GREMLINS!!! It feels like the bike is grounding out and misfiring. That can only mean a headache for me. Although there are like 9 wires on the whole bike.

I have a feeling the issue may be coming from the points system but we shall see.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:44 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your a lucky man! You will no doubt need the money you saved on your purchase for your resto, good luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Test light, static time her, replace inexpensive suspect parts first

Alright. I figured out why the bike didn't like 3rd gear. The transmission was completely dry. The previous owner must have drained it for storage. I'm very nervous that I rode it as far as I did with a dry trans. We shall see.

I filled the trans.

Now I feel that the lunging and dying are from ELECTRICAL GREMLINS!!! It feels like the bike is grounding out and misfiring. That can only mean a headache for me. Although there are like 9 wires on the whole bike.

I have a feeling the issue may be coming from the points system but we shall see.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM
danwoods
Advanced

Ok. So, it really annoys me to have to say this but I may have to sell this project. We had quite a few unexpected expenses and I'd rather lose the bike than the house. If anyone is interested, don't be afraid to message me.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry Dan,

Now you know why they sold it for a dollar, lol. At first you think, WOW. Then after all that you say, Ugh......

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I filled the trans.

back in post #8 you had a list of stuff to do including changing all fluids.
so did you chg tranny fluid or not . or did you just take off on a test ride without even checking it? ill give you a dollar for the bike.

Quick Reply: The $1 Harley