General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I with Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 PM
canuuk01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage I with Stock Exhaust

I visited the local HD service department to get information on having Stage I setup on my 2012 RK. I told him that I liked, and preferred to keep the stock exhaust. Would the benefits of a stage I setup still work without changing out the exhaust. I am no mechanic but if I understand correctly, the Stage I modifications (air filter kit) were supposed to help it breath better along with adjustments to the A/F mixture, possibly making it run just slightly cooler as well. They say no problem and offer to complete it for $500. which would include the change of the air filter/setup keeping the OEM football, as well as about 1 hour labor to remap making the necessary corrections to the air/fuel.

Maybe I'm missing something here when he suggests only the air filter change kit and one hour labor for setup. Are the air filter kits that expensive ? Will it "breathe" better without changing out the OEM exhaust ? (I have had the cat removed). Advice appreciated on this before I throw down $500.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak to the time or labor component but I just put a stage 1 DK Customs AC and external breather kit on my bike with stock exhaust and it seems to run a little cooler. No remapping yet though. I would imagine that more air and breathing hot air out vs. in must be of some benefit

Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just do the stage 1 air cleaner you typically don't need the remap. That said, for $500 you can buy Power Commander V or even a Fuelpak 3 and a good air cleaner and have money left over for beer. The tuners are simple and in less than an hour you can do it all yourself with some basic sockets and Allen keys. DK Customs has air cleaner kits where you get breather bolts so you aren't rerouting dirty sir back into your air cleaner. If you like your stock exhaust putting on a set of slip ons would keep the look and give you better performance. If you don't want to get a louder sound Screaming Eagle Pipes will be quieter than other brands. I like my Rush 1.75" because they can be quiet until I open the throttle and then they sounds great!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM
canuuk01
Advanced

Thanks Robby ... checking on the price for a stage 1 bobber AC today.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM
canuuk01
Advanced

Appreciate the reply medic2931. I do want to stick with the OEM exhausts as I like the sound just as they are. Perhaps just a touch louder than stock since having the cat removed. I'm following up with DK Customs on a bobber style stage 1 a/c. Without the tune or "remap" I'm not sure if the air cleaner change will be much help, but as with my '09 Ultra Classic I want to change out the OEM "football" anyways. I should have put the original football back on the UC before selling it.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what you're riding but guessing a bagger based on cats in the muffler. A tuner should still provide a modest performance increase with stock exhaust. Lower temps and better throttle response as well. While the fuelpak 3 only lists aftermarket exhaust I believe you could select slipons as the exhaust option and run auto tune to get a final map. Kutter HD sells them for $300 shipped once you add it to the cart.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I had the SE Heavy Breather on mine a week or so before I got the pipes and it wasn't until then, that they "tuned" it.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
canuuk01
Advanced

It's a 2012 Road King and the cat was in the header pipe. I'm not worried about performance increase as much as getting it to run just a bit cooler and smoother. I don't know if the cat removal has anything to do with how the engine is running, but every now and then the idle moves up and down (while idling) and I've noticed I have to turn it over a few extra times for it to start when hot vs fast start when cold. While riding it seems to run great. DK Customs has a Bobber style air cleaner they advertise for stage I that I will be purchasing. Now just a matter of whether or not the dealer still needs to setup the air/fuel ?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy your own air cleaner kit and a power commander. With the air cleaner you NEED more fuel or you will be waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too lean.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Waste of money. You wont feel the difference. JMHO

Quick Reply: Stage I with Stock Exhaust