General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

Have you ever noticed this...

I realized it years ago...If I am in my car and in regular clothes I am treated normally. When I am on my bike and I have leathers on, peopleare sometimesafraid to make eye contact and make sure they leave a more-than-normal amount of clearance space when they are walking past me. Others are OVERLY polite and hold doors for long periods of time till I can get to them. They are sacarin sweet!Sometimes it makes me laugh.....

Are they afraid I am going to kill them because I ride a bike?

Denim

Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

What I like to do when someone in their car is being overpolite or is obviously scared of me is let another car go in front of me, wave someone by, be extra polite to show them that not all bikers are rude. They always have a shocked look on their face when that happens. And by the way, I can't get cut off in traffic if I let them in.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your just a scary lookin Dude....

Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

maybe it's your over-active imagination.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (05-11-2024)
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

[sm=confused06.gif]
ORIGINAL: skipit

Your just a scary lookin Dude....

Old 04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experience the same thing all the time. People often times step all over themselves in an effort to extend courtesy. Almost to the point of embarassment on their part. Personally, I find it somewhat humorous. If they only took a moment to think about it for a sec. I mean, here comes this 'mean ol' badass biker dude' rolling up next to them. What do they do? They lock their doors; trying to be cool aboutit as if we don't take note. They make it a point to look straight ahead; even when we look over at them to give 'em a friendly nod. What they are failing to realize is that the 'mean ol' badass biker dude' is likely to be rolling up next to them on a bike that surpasses the value of their own damn car! Yet we're the menace to society in their minds eye? Go figure. Hell I mentioned in a thread not too long ago of the reception I got when I walked into a restaurant with my wife on a Sunday morning breakfast run. We had on our biker gear, etc and when we entered the restaurant, you'd thought the damn Del Fuegos had taken over or something!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I experience the same thing all the time. People often times step all over themselves in an effort to extend courtesy. Almost to the point of embarassment on their part. Personally, I find it somewhat humorous. If they only took a moment to think about it for a sec. I mean, here comes this 'mean ol' badass biker dude' rolling up next to them. What do they do? They lock their doors; trying to be cool aboutit as if we don't take note. They make it a point to look straight ahead; even when we look over at them to give 'em a friendly nod. What they are failing to realize is that the 'mean ol' badass biker dude' is likely to be rolling up next to them on a bike that surpasses the value of their own damn car! Yet we're the menace to society in their minds eye? Go figure. Hell I mentioned in a thread not too long ago of the reception I got when I walked into a restaurant with my wife on a Sunday morning breakfast run. We had on our biker gear, etc and when we entered the restaurant, you'd thought the damn Del Fuegos had taken over or something!
That's some funny s**t Texas!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I realized it years ago...If I am in my car and in regular clothes I am treated normally. When I am on my bike and I have leathers on, peopleare sometimesafraid to make eye contact and make sure they leave a more-than-normal amount of clearance space when they are walking past me. Others are OVERLY polite and hold doors for long periods of time till I can get to them. They are sacarin sweet!Sometimes it makes me laugh.....

Denim
Yes, I've noticed that and equally funny (I think) is the fact that when I am in my leathers I am "extra" polite to people to reassure themthat not all bikers arenecessarily going to kill them or rape their daughters.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whaap

Denim
Yes, I've noticed that and equally funny (I think) is the fact that when I am in my leathers I am "extra" polite to people to reassure themthat not all bikers arenecessarily going to kill them or rape their daughters.
Ahhhhh! But what if their daughters are willing??!![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Denim
Could it be that you don't wear pants under your chaps?

That will get you some funny looks.

[&:]

Quick Reply: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?