General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

ORIGINAL: vernh59

I had to make a short run to the drug store the other night. I shut the bike off and stepped off. As I was taking my helmet off the dude and dudette in the cage next to me power locked the doors. I heard them. Yesterday, I was riding home and a car came by me with three kids looking out the back window waving. I don't know why, but "the mom" backhanded one of them and they all turned around and sat down. Probably the seat belt thing, huh? ( anybody else remember riding and napping in that back window?)
I'm big and have the black leather thing going on too (HA!) and my absolutely most favorite things is when kids of any age stare and wave and crack up when I wave back. Or maybe I'm the first to wave and they really love that! I love that for some reason! Maybe because I don't have any kids and I'm NOT a badass.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

After reading all of this, I'm afraid to ride my bike now because there might have been a biker on it.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Nona
Outstanding HDF Member

ARE YOU SCARY LOOKING??? [8D]

Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
aussie2
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Have you ever noticed this...

I realized it years ago...If I am in my car and in regular clothes I am treated normally. When I am on my bike and I have leathers on, peopleare sometimesafraid to make eye contact and make sure they leave a more-than-normal amount of clearance space when they are walking past me. Others are OVERLY polite and hold doors for long periods of time till I can get to them. They are sacarin sweet!Sometimes it makes me laugh.....

Are they afraid I am going to kill them because I ride a bike?

Denim
Nope! Nothing to do with your bike. you just look ugly in biker gear. I bet you scare children and small animals too!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aussie2

I realized it years ago...If I am in my car and in regular clothes I am treated normally. When I am on my bike and I have leathers on, peopleare sometimesafraid to make eye contact and make sure they leave a more-than-normal amount of clearance space when they are walking past me. Others are OVERLY polite and hold doors for long periods of time till I can get to them. They are sacarin sweet!Sometimes it makes me laugh.....

Denim
Nope! Nothing to do with your bike. you just look ugly in biker gear. I bet you scare children and small animals too!
Funny--but I don't have to be in "biker gear" for it to happen. I can be in jeans and a t-shirt. If they see me ride up on the bike, I get the reaction. I'm sure it is a fear of bikers. That seems to be confirmed by a lot of posts on this thread.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
TEK 679
Road Captain

Could it be the semi auto shotgun straped to your back? I'll be BACK!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TEK 679

Could it be the semi auto shotgun straped to your back? I'll be BACK!
Wow! Do you think it could actually be that?! It is hard to believe that people can be so afraid of a little gun!! LOL

Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Punisher

Punishergirl and I had been out riding all day and I got a little wind burn on my face and lips and wanted to get some chap stick or something like that. So after dinner we throw on the leather jackets and hop on the bike for a short ride to Walmart. we walk into the store and you would have thought Moses was there parting the Red Sea the way everybody parted andgot out of our way as we walked down the aisles. It's so ridiculous sometimes it's damn near sublime. There are a few who do try to be nice to you, but if your even look like some kind of biker they think your a hard *** and won't even look at you. And this is just at Walmart the Redneck Macy's, the birthplace of the Mullet.
LOL! Ron, is that an older picture of you on your nomination site?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, people are more respectful I think. It could be you stand out as not the average joe like them, but someone with some *****. In most civilians eyes, if your hard enough to ride, your hard enough to whip an *** pretty easily. Ive noticed when Im out on the town with my gear on while riding, clubbing, etc., I have a low tolerance for b.s. But maybe thats the a$$hole coming out in me.....

Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
so165
Tourer

I have noticed that also, I was just talking to my brother about this very thing the other day, however, he is a 1% er full patch wearing scary looking dude soit is normal to him for folks to be like that.

Denim

Quick Reply: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?