General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
crazydave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

I laugh my butt off when people shy away from me when I'm wearing my leathers. For crying out loud. I'm 5'6", 130 lb, retired from the miltary, have a masters degree and am a computer tech. Now how "imposing" could I be? But people still get intimidated and it cracks me up. A 60 year old grandma who could probably kick my *** is scared because of my appearance. Stereotypes are alive and well here in Michigan.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
nuckels
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the last summer,I was riding with a friendside by sideon a 3 lane state highway (3 east,3 lanes going west).We pulled up to a red light in the left lane beside some mid 20 year old black kids with the boom boom radio crap on loud.When I lookedover/back at them,(we are stopped sightly ahead of them) the kid in the back seat was leaning upto the ones in the front,said something,then the boom boom noise quit. Funny as hell,I don't know if it was the bikes or the support shirts we where wearing,either way to this day it still cracks me up. [sm=boosign.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

More surprisingly I have experienced the same thing but at STURGIS! When I walk down the side walk and get bumped which is every few feet someone turns and with a fearful look & excuse themselves.

I'm an easy going nice person. I didn't understand until I looked closely into the mirror. Now I understan why the ladies scream sometimes.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 AM
wedwards
Advanced

I ride to work and sometimes grab a coffee on the way - the looks on peoples faces when I take my jacket off and they see a cleancut guy with white collared shirt and tie underneath! Priceless

Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

I try to humor people but sometimes it gets to be too much....gassing up at the C-store new-years eve......some crazy-eyed dipstick sees me and comes running over while I'm getting ready to leave.....(oh yah, the city bus station is only four or five blocks away)

Him: "hey man!!!!....cool bike!!!!!...nice ride!!!!!.....awesome!!!!! I used to have one of those, blah, blah blah!!!!!!!"

Me: "Thanks, glad you like it"

Him: "ya man!!! I'm fromCalifornia, Iused to hang out with the HA's all the time"

Me: "yah, everybody from California says that...I wouldn't say that around here (Texas) we don't have any of them around here"

Him: "yah man, I used to hang out with them all the time there, I just got out of the penitentiary there"

Me: "which one?"

Him: "Folsom man"

Me: "Well at least you weren't at "The Bay"

Him: "The Bay?....no man, I was in prison?"

Me: "Gotta Go" (dipstick!)

Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
nuckels
Banned

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

I try to humor people but sometimes it gets to be too much....gassing up at the C-store new-years eve......some crazy-eyed dipstick sees me and comes running over while I'm getting ready to leave.....(oh yah, the city bus station is only four or five blocks away)

Him: "hey man!!!!....cool bike!!!!!...nice ride!!!!!.....awesome!!!!! I used to have one of those, blah, blah blah!!!!!!!"

Me: "Thanks, glad you like it"

Him: "ya man!!! I'm fromCalifornia, Iused to hang out with the HA's all the time"

Me: "yah, everybody from California says that...I wouldn't say that around here (Texas) we don't have any of them around here"

Him: "yah man, I used to hang out with them all the time there, I just got out of the penitentiary there"

Me: "which one?"

Him: "Folsom man"

Me: "Well at least you weren't at "The Bay"

Him: "The Bay?....no man, I was in prison?"

Me: "Gotta Go" (dipstick!)
[sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif] Must not have watched "Lock Down" on t.v. enought!