General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?

I had an insurance office for years, and often wore a suit/tie. There was a noticeable difference in how I was treated (respectfully) going through check out lines or at a restaurant, as compared to when I was riding and wearing leathers.

But something remarkable has happened the past two years. Wearing anything at all that indicates I'm a Patriot Guard Rider, and people go out of their way to come up and say "thanks."

It's an amazing thing.....Even though it's not "about us," the Patriot Guard has been the mostpositive thing to the public's perception of bikers I've ever seen in 40 years of riding.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:49 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni
I've been raping their sheep a ...
So those Velcro gloves do come in handy ... fingerless ... of course.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Sith1250
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so everyone secretly wants to be a biker....so then why do they do the whole scared thing..like someone said at the atm machine?? Or locke thier doors when you pull up to them at a red light. I dunno. Its all steriotyping. I find when I am in my cage and I have my left arm out the window while driving (resting on the door) the people next to me sometimes act like I am a murderer. (I have got a full sleeve on left arm to the shoulder) And Im in a friggin Pathfinder...not some all black 51'Merc with skulls or a giant 4x4 with a "Hide Yer Daughters" sticker, a grocery getting, soccer mom driving pathfinder. I find that people are just fearfull nowadays...no faith in thier fellow man.

Do they realize that I would gladly stomp someone that is willling to rob them? No. People that fear what they do not understand ought to have a little faith that everyone out there isnt a Pirate.

2c

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Especially with all the leather on.Otherwize I really don't notice.Must be in too much of a hurry.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer

I stopped at the grocery store last week to pick up something on the way home... Walked into the place with full leathers on... Little girl about 9 yrs old was leaving the express line with her mom as I was walking in... She looked me up and down, her eyes lit up and said: "Mister, you got it going on!".... The "oh ****" look on her mother's face was priceless... I burst out laughing... Then her mother and the cashiers started laughing... As I passed by I put my hand down for a high five... A future HD rider... And a mom that maybe won't be so quick to judge next time...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: EricVonZipper

maybe it's your over-active imagination.

Yep, I'm still laughing at this thread...
Freud would have a field day with all of the "small pecker" syndrome going on here...

Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Have you ever noticed this...

I realized it years ago...If I am in my car and in regular clothes I am treated normally. When I am on my bike and I have leathers on, peopleare sometimesafraid to make eye contact and make sure they leave a more-than-normal amount of clearance space when they are walking past me. Others are OVERLY polite and hold doors for long periods of time till I can get to them. They are sacarin sweet!Sometimes it makes me laugh.....

Are they afraid I am going to kill them because I ride a bike?

Denim
Could it be that you don't wear pants under your chaps?

That will get you some funny looks.

[&:]
OH, CRAP, You're supposed to wear something UNDER THEM?!?!?!?!?[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Finn111

It just happened to me today! I stopped at some place for lunch and this guy stands with the door open the whole time I'm walking accross the parking lot, waiting for me. I almost started laughing in his face because I had just read this thread before I left.
You never know, sometimes they guy willing to go out of his way to hold the door, be courteous, etc. is because he's stuck in his cage that day and he can't wait to get home to his pan-head and go riding. I've always been around both "bikers" and "motocyclists" so I've always gone out of my way to help or be courteous to those that share the same passion. Sometimes I just didn't have the time to talk scoots but I could extend a higher degree of civility while I could. So, sometimes you may be laughing at someone that is really a brother. Just a thought.[8D]

Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
96 Glide
Advanced

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

I had an insurance office for years, and often wore a suit/tie. There was a noticeable difference in how I was treated (respectfully) going through check out lines or at a restaurant, as compared to when I was riding and wearing leathers.

But something remarkable has happened the past two years. Wearing anything at all that indicates I'm a Patriot Guard Rider, and people go out of their way to come up and say "thanks."

It's an amazing thing.....Even though it's not "about us," the Patriot Guard has been the mostpositive thing to the public's perception of bikers I've ever seen in 40 years of riding.
I have found the same here, people will come out and wave a flag or stand for hours to see youride forone of our own even in the rain, but by youself ?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

People give me strange looks & turn away quickly. I don't get it. I'm a good loking dude. Take a look.

Quick Reply: Why are people either afriad or overly-polite when I am riding?