General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it forever or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:03 PM
Hitecrednek
|
Intermediate
Default Keep it forever or trade?

Lets say you have a bike that is two years old and paid for.....

is it better to trade it in, and then keep trading every two-three years,

or

keep it forever, maybe add the extended warranty?

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:18 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Keep it forever or trade?

If your bike is completely stock, you might be in a better position to trade often.
It's not like the old days though....

If you load it up with accessories or customize your bike, expect a 25% return on your money.
I'll never sell my bike because I'll never see anything close to what I have in it.
If I have the need for another, I'm just going to buy a second bike.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:21 PM
DynaDan
Tourer

To me the best vehicle is one that's paid for. If your bike is only two years old and it is paid for I would keep riding it and spend the money on customizing it. I have a '98 F-150 with 107,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. Sure I'd love to go get a shiney new truck, but when I get the urge buy a new one, I think about the monthly note. Think I'll wait a little longer.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:27 PM
richp5
Cruiser

Well if there's a difference between models you could take quite a hit. My neighbor has a cherry '06 Heritage with lots of aftermarket goodies and less than 2K miles. He went to trade it in on a '07 Street Glide and they offered him $12k because of the larger engine, etc of the '07s. He bought the bike but kept the '06.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:30 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

My bike will be passed down to my Grandson... whenever he comes into being...

There is not a single part of my bike that I have not touched. Inside and out. A lot of blood sweat and tears in there.

I do have a new truck tho.... My son decided that I needed a new one, so he smashed my Ranger into a culvert.......... 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab w/ HiPo V8, if you are gonna replace it, you might as well step up up a bit

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:46 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Selling my truck or my bike would fell like betrayal to me. I suppose I could do it, but it would haunt me.

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:05 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I have a 2 year old bike and I'm still making it the way I want it. It's like new. I can't imagine trading it in.

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:09 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

I'll NEVER get anything close to the cost out of it in trade, so I'll just keep this one. I might add to the stable later on. The wife has a Deluxe I get to take out on occassion. Maybe a RK Custom at some point later on.

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:11 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 98 Ford Ranger 4x Splash that's paid for with 58K miles on it. When the wheels fall off, I'll buy another. Have my new 07 RKC. I'll keep that one too. Might replace the motor some day or do work on it. Don't intend on selling it--just keep messing around with it. Part of the fun.

Old 04-02-2007 | 04:35 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hitecrednek
Lets say you have a bike that is two years old and paid for.....
is it better to trade it in, and then keep trading every two-three years,
or, keep it forever, maybe add the extended warranty?
From the tone of your post it seems that you're concerned about things breaking and having to shell out the big $$$ for repairs. And I don't think you can purchase an extended warranty that will cover 'forever'.[sm=signs003.gif]

If that's the case, then treat your motorcycle like you'd treat your automobile. You can pretty much go into any HD dealer and get a new bike either off the floor or with a minimum of time to wait for production/delivery. It's been a long time since The MoCo has sold out their entire production, like they did 10-15 years ago. And although a HD does have better residual value than some other makes, it also comeswith a higher initial purchase price.

If I had the $$$ to do it, I'd have a new one every couple of years. Just like a new car or truck. But...I haven't got that sort of income.

Quick Reply: Keep it forever or trade?