General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it forever or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 11:41 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer
Default RE: Keep it forever or trade?

After two years and 20,000 miles, my bike just gets better and better. No way would I trade it in for another one unless there were some really major improvement, and right now I don't know what that would be since my 05 FLSTCI is just about perfect...

As far as money is concerned, the only economy car (or bike) is the one that is paid for.

Old 04-02-2007 | 11:49 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

My Ultra is approaching six years since it was built. I paid cash for it because I had the cash. I don't have that kind of cash today. I absolutely love this motorcycle and don't mind spending money on it to keep it fresh and new looking. I suspect there is a point when all the depreciation is gone and it won't be worth much less after that. At that point, I will have to decide if I want to sell and buy a new one, but right now, at 65 y/o, I don't see that happening. My Harley is not much different than the newest ones, and still looks like I just took delivery. Why would I want to part with it now?[8D]

Old 04-03-2007 | 12:00 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I have an 03 Anniv Deuce paid cash. I wanted a RK, so I went to a dealer that I knew had the model I wanted. Bought the new bike. The dealer wanted to know what I was riding. I told him it was a softail so he replies you should trade it in now cause you will stop riding it after you start cruising on the RK. I told him I doubted I would ever stop riding my Deuce. To this day I ride my Deuce more than I ride the RK, and I love the RK.

Bottom line for me I will keep them both.

Old 04-03-2007 | 12:04 AM
bobg1253
Road Captain

I want a RK but I can't bear the thought of giving up my Dyna. When I'm able I'll just start a collection of Harley's. Keep em all.

Old 04-03-2007 | 12:12 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

While I just picked up my '04 Fatty in mid March, if I can pay it off in two years, it'll be a keeper. Once they're paid for, they tend to stay in my garage for a long time. (ie. the '85 V45 Magna I've had since it was new...) While I've eyeballed a new truck, to replace the '97 F-150 XLT Ext. Cab. I own with around 185,000 kms on it (around 115,000 miles), after visiting the truck and car show in early March, and seeing the pricetag on a new F-150, I think I'll be keeping my '97 for years to come. Same with my Fatty. The plan right now is to hand it off to the wife in a few years. Then I'll get myself a new one...thinking Street Glide right now, but who knows when it comes down to it?

Old 04-03-2007 | 02:03 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tireater

Another thing to consider is resale is going down on bikes lately and you take a bath trading it in...
I know a guy who bought a Deuce for $53k. (many mods.) He likes to give girls rides so he wants a bagger. The dealer wanted to give him $17k to trade it in a year later....OUCH!!!

Was that a typo??? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]If not, like they say, There's one born every minute...[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:28 AM
XL1200N
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Hitecrednek

lets see if I can post a photo of her (noob!)
[IMG][/IMG]
Nice bike, and nice Dayton gas pump is it yours? I collect gas and oil stuff very cool.

I go with the old saying "I wish I would of keep my first bike I bought" Have no plans on selling or trading in either one. I may get a bigger bike some day for 2 up riding but will keep both Sporties.

Brian

Old 04-03-2007 | 04:02 AM
chattigre
Advanced

a great question...but i think i'm going to keep all my bikes for a long long time.

Old 04-03-2007 | 04:20 AM
THEBIGPUNN
Cruiser

i agree with most posts here. keeping and paying off these days seems a lot better than constantly trading and losing.

Old 04-03-2007 | 05:37 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

The reason I deicided to go full out on my superglide, Susie....was because I only need one bike, and the loss I would take unloading an FXDI was crazy.[&:]

If It was worth the same as new, like they used to be....I would have traded her in....too late now! She is customized and can't see letting her go unless someone offers me a deal I can't refuse!

Joe

Quick Reply: Keep it forever or trade?