General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver to passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005 | 03:06 AM
Anniesage
|
Road Master
Default driver to passenger?

Haven't had alot of time to post lately - have quite a few friends in New Orleans that I am trying to find so I can help; have friends heading there to help with the animal rescues and been spending time gearing them up. But wanted to share with you this past weekend - which confirms what I already know...I can't passenger anymore. Once you ridden, you can't passenger.

Hubby has decided he wants to trade in Wide Glide for Road King. Made him rent one for the Labor Day weekend. He puts on close to 600 miles between Friday and Saturday. I haven't been able to ride much lately - back on Rxs that affect my riding my scoot. So, he decides that 'we' need to go for a ride on Sunday - out to Mt. Rainier. So, reluctantly, I passenger up - freeways we did o.k., straight roads, no problem, until we got to the roads heading up Mt. Rainer--twisties and switchbacks with signage saying - 10 mph on the switchbacks - no guardrails on the side of the mountain and it is straight down 3,000 feet. It was 15 miles from point a to point b at the top (6,500 feet up). Half way there, I made him turn around. I just could not do it anymore as a passenger. I was freaking out. I was hyperventilating. Every switchback all I could do was close my eyes and say my mantra - "f^%#$, s*&%@. Not that hubby was doing anything wrong - I just could not NOT be in control of my vehicle.

Has anyone here had that same problem - going from driver to passenger and not being able to handle it? Deal with it? Or is it that I am just a super control freak that just can't let go? Fortunately, meds are going to be over with within the next 2-3 weeks - just in time for the Pacific Nw rainy season to start.

Old 09-07-2005 | 08:52 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: driver to passenger?

Driver's seat for me only.

Old 09-07-2005 | 10:20 AM
RKJ
Novice

I do the same thing in a car when I'm riding with my sons. I want to backseat drive, I don't get weirded out (no offense meant, just couldn't think of a better term) but I don't like it. I've not gone to the back seat on a bike (and hopefully won't have to) so I can't address that, but it sounds pretty normal to me (especially as how you could look straight down for how far?).

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:02 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Haven't ridden as a passenger since I was a kid, and don't think I ever will. I think I can understand your feelings.

Mac

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:17 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

100% agree - Can't ride on the back again - I even hate to be a passenger in a cage - I must be a control freak!

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:48 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Annie, I don't believe my wife could ever ride two up again after riding her own scoot. She even squirms when I am driving the old truck. As a result, if we are in the truck, she normally drives and that is fine with me. I don't really enjoy driving a vehicle much. The bike is a different story. I don't think I could every ride as a passenger.

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:54 AM
Shibby
Cruiser

I totally understand your situation. I barely had any passenger seat time when I learned to ride myself. We recently did a 2,500 mile trip and with my bike out I had to ride pillion. Most of the time I was ok but twisties really bothered me too. It's so hard to just sit back and not be in control. My passenger days are fairly limited now.

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:58 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ive never been a passenger on a bike so no advice there, but i went up mt ranier on a car and it sure is beautiful.... would love to do that on a bike. we just got back from a trip in july up through the colorado rockie mtns and my wife who does no ride her own was freaking out on the 10 mph switchbacks as well.....her bro lives in snohomish so we might get a chance to ride out there soon

Old 09-07-2005 | 11:59 AM
PWHOG
Road Master

You can barely go 2 miles here in the UK without a curve ! The footboards on my softail are getting well ground down ! Sit back and let the adrenaline flow

PWHOG (UK)[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 09-07-2005 | 12:34 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Never been a passenger so can't help out there but my wife does okay as a passenger and she rides herself every once in awhile.

Quick Reply: driver to passenger?