General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on how to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Suggestions on how to proceed

New Street Bob,

I had the standard pegs moved forward a bit (frwrds were a little too much). I just ordered a high flow air cleaner kit from DK Customs but will probably keep the stock exhaust for a little while.

Will I notice any difference with just the air cleaner? Also I assume that the next purchase should be a fuel management system of some sort. Looking at Power Vision and the V&H FP3. I know that there are plenty of opinions on both and can look those up but since I can't afford to do exhaust and mgmt system at the same time would I notice much of a difference with a system like this and with stock exhaust? Any reason to get the XIED kit instead (I could get the exhaust at the same time), or save the money and go the electronic route?

thanks for any thoughts/suggestions

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

More air...more power.
Exhaust will wake her up even more.
Both will add 15-20% more power total.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

No, you won't notice any difference. You really don't absolutely need a fuel management solution with just an intake and exhaust. Doesn't hurt though.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
No, you won't notice any difference. You really don't absolutely need a fuel management solution with just an intake and exhaust. Doesn't hurt though.
Understood, but I was under the impression that once I had done both the air and the exhaust that a fuel mgmt system was in order to make best use? Since I couldn't afford to do both a new exhaust and mgmt system that's why I thought I'd do it next. Not the case?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You dont need a tuner. I dont have one and I have exhaust and intake.
Bike runs perfect.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallesano
More air...more power.
Exhaust will wake her up even more.
Both will add 15-20% more power total.
I would take issue with that. Probably closer to 10% with a good tune.

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
You really don't absolutely need a fuel management solution with just an intake and exhaust. Doesn't hurt though.
So when would you need a tuner, if not with an intake and exhaust?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I would take issue with that. Probably closer to 10% with a good tune.

So when would you need a tuner, if not with an intake and exhaust?
I guess it would depend on the amount of modifications. Technically you're supposed to use a tuner to change the fuel mapping for any engine upgrade that would change the AF ratios negatively. Adding an intake and an exhaust doesn't alter the way an engine runs enough to require it. Can you benefit from it? Yes, a little, but it's still not going to be very noticeable. Now if you put in a new cam or bigger displacement cylinders and pistons, or modifiy the heads and valves, then you'd definitely want to change the fuel map.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I changed my intake & exhaust (V&H Monster Rounds) and other than being louder, there was no noticeable change in performance. The bike runs great without a tuner - no popping or backfiring of any kind.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

I can tell you what's not noticeable. After I changed my exhaust and intake I tried two "bandaid" approaches to fuel management. First, the XIEDs and after that a V&H Fuelpak. There were some improvements in a couple of areas but nothing made a noticeable difference in power.
Then I installed a TMax with a canned map, and WOW! From the first ride, even before taking advantage of auto tuning, there was a huge increase in performance. I didn't need to put it on a dyno to know things were way better.
No doubt that tweaking the AFRs was the major reason for that. If you have increased the airflow in and out of the motor and left the stock ECM to compensate for that flow, the best you can expect is to have the lean, EPA stipulated AFR of 14.7. And you're lucky if it doesn't make it run even leaner than that.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Good advice from all thanks. I was under the impression that the fuel mgmt was a must do. Maybe in the interim I'll do the intake, then the exhaust in a few weeks and then look at fuel mgmt. I've looked at the FP3 from V&H as well as the Powervision, just not sure that I need all that, just want to run the bike as efficiently as possible while getting the most of it. I do not see myself doing any cam or piston changes, purely aesthetic for the next couple of years I'm fairly sure