General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragging feet?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014 | 12:45 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

I did a group ride this past Saturday and we had 2 sport bikes with us, one guy kept standing up off the saddle to stretch his back out - those bikes look so uncomfortable - glad I have my Dyna

Old 06-16-2014 | 12:53 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
Saturday we were in the cage headed south on I35 near Ames IA. Saw a group of about 4 on sport bikes going the other way through a construction zone, so their speed was probably 55-60. At least 2 of these riders had their feet pointed down near the pavement. If their toes weren't scrapping it was darn close. Why would they do this? I don't get it.
Were their feet on the pegs? The reason I'm asking is that the way the foot pegs are attached on some sportbikes gives the illusion from the back that the feet are off or aimed at the ground.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:10 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
It's a squid thing. I wouldn't understand. They do that dumb $hit around here all the time.
Apparently it doesn't take much to confuse you.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:12 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer

That's right on. And there's sports bikes and race bikes. Most manufacturers went to more race bike lineup which is an aggressive forward position compared to sports bikes. And most of the people riding them are sports bikes riders.

If you don't have the physique for it you wont be comfortable. If you do its really not bad. But you are in a constant "ab crunch" position.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:34 PM
av ultra
Road Captain

1 hour on my hayabusa on a straight road would kill me, especially after leg day at the gym, when you get cramps on a sport bike it's a pain unlike any other.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:45 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser

LOL!! My cousin asked me about this yesterday. There's a couple of guys around here with crotch-rockets slammed down, stretched out swing-armed, fat tired loud as all hell fast bikes that does this. If you see one going threw out little town, he'll be winging it up to 8 grand, slipping the clutch, dragging a foot every time he takes off. I don't know what the purpose of this is but you see them in all kinds of weather. If the snow and ice is gone, they are riding, if its raining, they are riding(a little slower). Lake advisory wind, they are riding. Only thing I can figure is with the back tire so wide, at slow speeds, it may be the easiest way to keep it straight. But beating on the throttle thing is still a mystery.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:48 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer

Well--interestingly the rider position on a hyabusa compared to a race bike is bit different. No flaming the bike, it's a beast. But it's also not a road race bike. Like you, a sports bike would prolly be an issue for me. But a race rocket is actually not bad. Little harder on upper body than legs.

Old 06-16-2014 | 08:31 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bulldog10
That's right on. And there's sports bikes and race bikes. Most manufacturers went to more race bike lineup which is an aggressive forward position compared to sports bikes. And most of the people riding them are sports bikes riders.

If you don't have the physique for it you wont be comfortable. If you do its really not bad. But you are in a constant "ab crunch" position.
They're all considered sport bikes.

Old 06-16-2014 | 08:58 PM
Andjh123
Tourer

On most sportbikes, you have to put your toes on the pegs if you're planning on leaning it way over, otherwise your toe will contact the ground before the peg and/or feeler does. A lot of sportbike riders are unaware of this because they never lean the bike far enough over to require such.

Old 06-16-2014 | 10:11 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer

OK. I'll go there. The "sports bikes" most Co's are putting out are really race bikes. And the peeps buying them don't know jack S**t bout riding them. They are WAY over engineered for the customer.

The BS stops when you look at their tires. And yup, almost always a huge chicken strip.

Quick Reply: Dragging feet?!