General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts
Default Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)

I did the Peak to Peak ride today.

http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/s...l/peak-to-peak

Picture Gallery https://www.hdforums.com/g/album/1385717
(First attempt at sharing so if it doesn't work let me know and I can try to post them in a reply). Also, there are only pics of the ride up, the weather was turning and I did not stop to take pics on the way back down.

Although I rode it form south to north which I think is the opposite of what people normally do. My wife and in-laws wanted to have a Father's Day dinner up at their cabin in Estes. So I took the opportunity to ride a longer route while my wife, kids and in-laws rode in the cage, the short route.

After prime rib and mashies I got back on the Hog and went down Hwy 34 and was amazed at how much more devastation I noticed this week from last falls flood than I did just a week ago.

When I got out of the canyon on the west end of Loveland, I stopped at a local leather store. If you get a chance when in Colorado in that area, stop at Beavers Den Leathers. I am not sure of the forum rules for plugging a store that is not a sponsor so I will not post a link or give out anything more than what I have.

From Beavers Den I went up to Carter Lake to drive by the lake then back home for about 185 miles today. It was a good long ride that was interrupted by lunch, though thats not all bad.

the Elk Bulls were on a road below our cabin, we see a lot of wildlife up there from deer and elk to turkeys and bears along with all the little critters.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:09 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have a niece getting married the first week-end in october in estes park. the wife is flying into denver and renting a car to meet me in estes park. i am going to ruidoso for the fall rally, and spending a few days hitting the mountains before going to estes park. i will make a point to ride this route. thanks.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Too bad about the weather,but that's life in the high country. The flood damage is nothing new in the Big Thompson Canyon,lotta' dead bodies have been piled up in that one. Idiots are still building in it. Check out CR 27 ,comes into 34 out of Loveland.Twisty little snake that goes north to Hwy 14,over the divide,Then 125 south through Grand Lake,over Trail Ridge and down into Estes. Up between 9-12,000 feet the whole run.Amazing photo ops.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 465 Likes on 134 Posts

The peak to peak is a beautiful ride. I usually ride it 3 or 4 times a year.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics. No rain or tornadoes? I usually do that loop south to north too. I also like the ride from Carter to the other two small lakes above Flatiron and Pinewood. Great view from there.
Would like to do that one tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 PM
betho61
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

looks like an enjoyable ride, that i'm going to have to try out!!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:04 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

That's a great ride that my bugs & I plan to do in a few weeks....yesterday we did a 250 miler: Morrison, Evergreen, Echo Lake, Berthood pass, Grand Lake, Estes park, Lyons, Boulder, Morrison...we were able to wait out the rain/Hail storms while having lunch in Lyons:

Attached Thumbnails Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-img_0002.jpg   Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-img_0027.jpg   Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-img_0021.jpg   Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-img_0040.jpg   Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-img_0055.jpg  

Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Hello neighbor! We got out Friday and road Estes Park area. Weather was perfect. No afternoon storms!

Attached Thumbnails Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-sam_1195.jpg   Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)-sam_1206.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done most of these rides too and already a few this year. Great country up there. I freakin' love living near the Rockies. I also recommend Beavers Den. Great lady runs the place and her prices are decent. Patch sewing and the whole deal in her little shop.

From 2 weeks ago at the Alpine Tundra visitors center:

Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like a blast! I've never had the pleasure of going west or seeing the Rockies. Being a Kentuckian I know the Appalachian foothills and Smokeys pretty well but those Rockies must be a sight to see.

Quick Reply: Peak to Peak ride (Colorado Rockies)