General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
bringelvisback
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led lights got me a ticket

At this years Daytona Bike week, i ended up get a ticket for running blue led lights on my bike. The thing that really pissed me off was i must have passed at least 50 cops in cars and not one gave me a second look. On the way to Pub 44, i passed up 3 sheriff cops sitting on bikes. One came out and gave me a ticket. He said you cann't run blue or red lights and i said that was the first i've heard. His response was you're suppose to know the laws. I asked if he could give me break since it was my birthday. I cann't do the math was his reply and continued with the ticket. The cost on the back of the ticket was $120.50
While waiting there my wife and i must of seen 10 bikes go by with light's and the cop said i cann't get everybody.
After i got back to Ohio, i looked up the Florida law on this and it said you cann't run emergency blue or red lights. I feel i got hosed since i feel that emergency blue means flashing. And just a heads up, you can now pay alot of tickets over the internet. I went onto the website and found my ticket.Funny thing was the fine with processing fee was only $81.50 . Saving me $39. If i lived down there i would have fought this. I know one thing , i'll be boycotting this area from now on. How many of you have gotten bogus tickets!!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
earthdog
Tourer
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

I just put red led's on my engine, this weekend. I read a website from a seller of leds that spells it out very good. Most states state that the red, blue or white can't be flashing or strobe lights. If the state law doesn't read "led" lights, as some states state "no neon" lights. If the state law doesn't state "led" then they must be legal untill the state law defines the use of led lights.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: earthdog

I just put red led's on my engine, this weekend. I read a website from a seller of leds that spells it out very good. Most states state that the red, blue or white can't be flashing or strobe lights. If the state law doesn't read "led" lights, as some states state "no neon" lights. If the state law doesn't state "led" then they must be legal untill the state law defines the use of led lights.
Good to know!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not saying anything personal, but it doesn't take the brightest bulb in the pack to figure out its not gonna be legal to run red (other than tail) or blue lights on a moving vehicle.

Deep down, I think you knew it was wrong but figured nobody cared. Someone did though. Good deal on the internet discount though.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Newhog
Road Captain

It is clearly illegal, notice on that vendors web site he is not offering to pay the fine or help you fight that ticket.

pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.

bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cops are there to write tickets. That's their job. They have a quota to meet. They write tickets to out of towners because they know you won't dispute it. That's the way it is. Been that was since long before you were born. It will be that way long after you're dead. It may not be "right", but that's the way it is.Quit whining, get used to it, suck it up and pay the fine. Just be glad it's an equipment violation, and not a moving violation.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 AM
earthdog
Tourer

I know in my state of Wisconsin, it states no red lights facing forward or out in front of the vehicle. The DOT laws here don't say anything about accent lights. They are not facing forward, actually they are facing down onto the engine.
There is one member here that is a cop in Indiana and he uses leds on his bike and like he says, it's safer to be seen with a accent light kit on your motor than to be hit by a car that doesn't see you with stock lighting.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
earthdog
Tourer

It is clearly illegal, notice on that vendors web site he is not offering to pay the fine or help you fight that ticket.
How many vendors have you seen, for anything offer to pay a ticket for you? That was a goofy remark. Does any after market pipe dealers offer to pay a ticket for you if you get stopped for too loud of pipes? Get real...

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like bs to me

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket