General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

It is my understanding that ALL 50 states are signatories to the Compact agreement. That said, if the state you recieved you ticket in forwards that info to your home state, your home state is required to suspend your operators license. It's part of the agreement. This was done to end the practice of making out of state violators post bond on the spot.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 AM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

The cops are there to write tickets. That's their job. They have a quota to meet. They write tickets to out of towners because they know you won't dispute it. That's the way it is. Been that was since long before you were born. It will be that way long after you're dead. It may not be "right", but that's the way it is.Quit whining, get used to it, suck it up and pay the fine. Just be glad it's an equipment violation, and not a moving violation.
Funny how people tend to cling to these mistaken beliefs. I was NEVER givne a quota to write, and know of no other officer who was either. Quotas were ruled unconstitutional long before I started my career over 30 years ago. AndI never targeted out of state offenders because they would not dispute it. Whether or not someone disputed a ticket meant nothing to me. I was in traffic court on my assigned days regardless, and could care less whether or not someone disputed a ticket. If they did, I gave my testimony, they gave theirs, and the judge ruled. Simple as that. Most cops don't personalize tickets in the way the general public percieves them to.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I sell and install LEDS, I tell my customers up front; if they buy blue lights in a blue light emergency state, they can only display them while parked. Red and Clear have no impact in a blue light state. Red/flashing is only used by volunteer fire. It is legal to run Red LED's.
maybe in your state , red will get you a ticket in IL

Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Enhancement lights are only legal when parked up here.
But blue dots in the tail light are okey dokey.
I do not run blinkers on any of mine. (Right now) Have been stopped for other things, but never ticketed or hassled for no blinks.
I also don't run a speedo, and I got stopped in St Cloud for "suspicion" because I was going 'too slow' according to the LEO. He thought I was high or drunk, because "everyone speeds thru here", quote.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:07 PM
maxum96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sldavis

Funny how people tend to cling to these mistaken beliefs. I was NEVER givne a quota to write, and know of no other officer who was either. Quotas were ruled unconstitutional long before I started my career over 30 years ago. AndI never targeted out of state offenders because they would not dispute it. Whether or not someone disputed a ticket meant nothing to me. I was in traffic court on my assigned days regardless, and could care less whether or not someone disputed a ticket. If they did, I gave my testimony, they gave theirs, and the judge ruled. Simple as that. Most cops don't personalize tickets in the way the general public percieves them to.
[sm=exactly.gif] LEO for 11 years here.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM
hitchhiker2706
Advanced

Something to consider,,,many states have a reciprocal agreement,,,don't pay the fine from another state and your home state license can be suspended, or worse,,,learned that the hard way!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Most states now, are on an interstate compact agreement. Fail to pay a ticket in another state, and your HOME state will suspend your driver's license.
Sounds like a way to bypass soveriengty to me. Perhaps one day a cop from one state will be able to patrol in the state next door, you know, just because.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member

The sad thing is
If you or a close family member was a LEO. The PD would have let you skate

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Jn836FreeIndeed
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny Mike5511!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I got stopped one night with blue lights on the back of my truck topper.
The cop must have thought he had a bigger fish (maybe a DUI?)...
after he run my license, he said:
"Let's just say your blue lights are 'torquoise'."
and he let me go with a warning.
Any colored lights other than red or amber are for parking lots/off road
use. No need to ride a rainbow.

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket