General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 AM
GAWSHoG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

it's like that in myrtle beach too. my oldest son got pulled, and let off with a warning for running green lights on his honda civic.....the trooper said, any colored lights. i'm assuming the same would go for bikes too...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:26 PM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad I did a search, I wanted to get some neon, now I'll chat with a few of my cop buddies before I get anything.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only kids have those light on bikes..you deserved the ticket

Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

A partner of mine did security for a bar in Flagler beach and we got to know the cops there pretty well... this is what they told us.

You can NOT have blue lights on your bike, period. Red lights are only allowed as tail lights, no where else.
As well, your license plate has to be horizontal, and it doesn't matter how loud your bike is, as long as it has a baffle....

Old 05-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior

My brother got busted in Wisconsin last year for blue ground effect lights on his 67 Impala the deputy said no blue when operating on the road OK for show or in the parking lot

Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: earthdog

If the state law doesn't state "led" then they must be legal untill the state law defines the use of led lights.

Ah, that's news to me. I've been in law enforcement for 11 years and never heard that the source of the light would determine if it was legal or illegal. Here in Colorado it doesn't matter what type of light source you're using. Red only to the rear and not flashing. No blue or green period unless you're an emergency vehicle or snow plow.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:02 AM
maxum96
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: pococj

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.

Bad advice my friend. Most states have a compact in reference to driver's licenses. That means that if you get a ticket in another state and ignore it, your license gets suspended in your home state. I've stopped more than a few people that thought they could ignore out of state tickets and found out the hard way that you can't.

Just my 2 cents

Old 05-04-2008, 01:05 AM
CSA
Road Master

Amber to the front, Red to the Rear!

When I drove truck I had a Silver Kenworth with a Purple Scallop. I had purple reflector lug covers on my wheels and when I got pulled in for inspection the Trooper made me pull ever damn on them off before she let me leave the inspection bay.

BTW she was a big busty blonde that drove a 66 Vette! .........hard to say no to her..........well that and the badge and Glock she was sportin'!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:31 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Once again, the FEDS, as in DOT have established what color etc lights will be on vehicles. The ONLY colors authorized are WHITE - Front only, RED - rear only, AMBER - anywhere. Most(all as far as I know) states have adopted word for word the DOT rules for lights as well as other SAFETY items. By authorizing what colors you can use, they have ruled out any other colors. Different states have passed other laws pertaining to lights, but the basic DOT rules still apply.

Now, a previous Attorney General, here in AR, issued a ruling on the neon lights underneath vehicles. Basically, the rule is, if you can't see the actual light, only the glow from the light, then it is O.K. no matter what color it is. If you can see the acutal light bulb, then the DOT rules apply.

There will be some argue with me I am sure, but I have seen no successful defense mountedon these "blue/red/other light tickets" in the courts where I live.

(LEO 25 yrs+......don't know it all, but I can read the statute book[:@])

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt stop with just led lights I would add a leapord skin seat and fringe every where . no sense in half assing a pimp ride

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket