General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

ORIGINAL: bringelvisback

At this years Daytona Bike week, i ended up get a ticket for running blue led lights on my bike. The thing that really pissed me off was i must have passed at least 50 cops in cars and not one gave me a second look. On the way to Pub 44, i passed up 3 sheriff cops sitting on bikes. One came out and gave me a ticket. He said you cann't run blue or red lights and i said that was the first i've heard. His response was you're suppose to know the laws. I asked if he could give me break since it was my birthday. I cann't do the math was his reply and continued with the ticket. The cost on the back of the ticket was $120.50
While waiting there my wife and i must of seen 10 bikes go by with light's and the cop said i cann't get everybody.
After i got back to Ohio, i looked up the Florida law on this and it said you cann't run emergency blue or red lights. I feel i got hosed since i feel that emergency blue means flashing. And just a heads up, you can now pay alot of tickets over the internet. I went onto the website and found my ticket.Funny thing was the fine with processing fee was only $81.50 . Saving me $39. If i lived down there i would have fought this. I know one thing , i'll be boycotting this area from now on. How many of you have gotten bogus tickets!!

Told ya not to put that crap on your scoot [:'(]

Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No ticket for me so far....Been riding 2 years with amber up front and red facing rear

[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/069CB55FA61F47E9856971D2B41F1C9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they can also suspend your license and say three years from now you are in Fl having a good time and go through a traffic check. Then you go directly to jail and do not collect $200. dollars. If you are lucky enough for this to be on a Friday you will have paid for a room and also have free room and board until Monday at least.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.
Most states now have inter state compacts. Don't pay a ticket in Fla and Ohio will suspend your license.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Just to shed a little more light my "civil disobedience" - all the tickets I refused to pay were equipment violations.Low beam burnt out and a Nebraska trooper wrote me uprather than allowing me to fix it at the truck stop I stopped in;Wisconsin trooper wrote me for no turn signals on a '72 XLCH chop that never had turn signals from the factory; New Hampshire, Maine, & Massachusetts were all for a blue dot tail light - blue dots are legal in Texas because the overall frequency of the emitted light falls in the red spectrum - if it's legal in my home state I ain't payin' some other state with constipated laws.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Probably has something to do with the Reciprocal Law. If you don't pay they report it to your home state and then your home state suspends your license. Red or Blu lights are illegal in Illinois. Even a blue dot taillight is illegal in most states. If you think what the manufacturer stated about LED's is correct then go ahead and fight it. He's not paying the Attorney Fees for something the state will stretch out for years.
ORIGINAL: pococj

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally...someone else gets a BS ticket besides me. Since I have been here I got the "LOUD PIPE" ticket, and the non dot ticket. I won't put any blue lights on cause I don't want that ticket,and I had red lights facing front for a couple of months cause I lost one of my amber signal covers, but that is now fixed...

Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Loafnaround
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with poco would just not have paid it.... they do the same thing everwhere, i have had three in alabama, one was on the water and lowered the outboard while sitting on the butt seat and fishing $150+......never did pay :-) did call home state and ask them if they honored ala....they didnt...........Cant remember some tickets cancel out in 3 years and som e in 5 years i believe

Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to retract what I said about blue-dots being illegal in Washington. They're illegal on newer cars but legal on bikes of ANY model year. My man GravyRider justwised me up to this fact.

I bow to his Gravyness.

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket