Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
hartick
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

is there a difference between cars and bikes for rear blinkers?? i have read that bikes always have to have amber turn signals, so shouldnt that count for cars too?? my chevy has all red lights in the back(except for reverse), so am i illegal from the factory??

also i got blue leds in daytona last year on my engine. ran them most nights i rode to help with side visibility and i thought it looked cool. never got a second look from the cops. dont have that bike anymore, not sure if im getting them on this bike yet.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: em2780

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I sell and install LEDS, I tell my customers up front; if they buy blue lights in a blue light emergency state, they can only display them while parked. Red and Clear have no impact in a blue light state. Red/flashing is only used by volunteer fire. It is legal to run Red LED's.
In New Jersey Police still use RED adding BLUE, while Volunteers use BLUE only, Also as I understand it flashing WHITE lights in the front also a ticket in this fine state of New Jersey.
If your riding you bike with a modulating headlight, it is perfectly LEGAL in all 50 STATES. In this case the FED statue superceeds local law, however most states vehicle and traffic laws recognize the flashing headlight exemption. BTW, the flashing/modulating headlight is for DAY use only.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 AM
chops
Tourer

Newsflash!!!

It's not a bogus ticket.
You can't have blue lights on anything here.
It's on the books for a reason, legally you broke the law.
Just last week about 50 ppl werearrested in a sting, that had their cars equipped with blue lights, strobesand sirens, front mounted computers, stolen badges, uniforms, the works.

Next time, check with one of us that livehere if you're unsure.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

When I switched my rear signals to LEDs, I was going to get red lenses. The tech at J&P said I should go with amber ones since they are used for signaling.
I also added a converter, so they work as auxiliary running and brake lights. I am legal for the signaling part, since they are amber, but I don't know if it is legal to have amber aux. running and brake lights.
Tom
I added the HD converter tomake myturn signals auxiliary brake lights. I have the HD bullet typewith smoke lenses. Amber bulbs in the front and red bulbs in the rear. Not sure about the legality of running amber lights in the rear butI didn't like the lookso I changed the bulbs to red ones. Very visible now.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

Florida law states that no privately owned vehicle can have a blue light, and they cannot have a red light facing forward, flashing or not for either color.
This has been on "The Books" for nearly 50 years.
Enfocement is spoadic at best in the metro areas.

I've heard of some city cops ticketing blueish headlights, and not allow the vehicle to proceed until they were replaced, usually resulting in being towed instead.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

BC you can't have anything of any colour moving or stationary, cops will hassle you. neon, LED doesn't matter.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,403 Likes on 3,792 Posts

You can even get harrassed for a transparent red or blue bug deflector on the hood of a pick-up truck if the cop is in the mood. The idea is that the sun coming through from the rear makes it look like it's a light. Probably even at night ...... a friend of mine once got nailed for an American flag-style deflector. We called the LEO "Commie-Cop".

Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.
Most states now, are on an interstate compact agreement. Fail to pay a ticket in another state, and your HOME state will suspend your driver's license.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That LEO was PMSing. Sometimes the cut you some slack and sometimes the even respond with rudeness.

Stay healthy.

Mimo.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the revenue-hungry state of Washington even the red tail light lenseswith the little blue dot in the center are illegal.

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket