Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led lights got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Led lights got me a ticket

legal here if not seen from the front.

Rhode Island:

§ 31-24-30Red lights in front prohibited. – No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device on it displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by chapters 1 – 27 of this title. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oregon is the nearly same way, white, red, orange and purplelights are ok, blue lights whiledrivingget you aticket.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.
Many states have what is known as reciprocity. You don't pay your fine in thier state and your license can be revoked in your home state until the fine is paid. Just ignoring a ticket because you are out of state can be bad advice. It could also result in a warrant being issued and the next time you are wandering through that state you could be in for a unplanned stop over.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I switched my rear signals to LEDs, I was going to get red lenses. The tech at J&P said I should go with amber ones since they are used for signaling.
I also added a converter, so they work as auxiliary running and brake lights. I am legal for the signaling part, since they are amber, but I don't know if it is legal to have amber aux. running and brake lights.
Tom

Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: 05 Wd Gld

Why did you even bother to pay the stupid ticket, internet good deal or not? What were they gonna do, come to Ohio & extradite you? If I'm out of my home stateand get a ticket that I deserve, I have no problem with ponying up the bucks. Otherwise I exercise a little "civil disobedience", and ignore 'em. Too easy for them to use you as a revenue enhancement source when you're on a bike and far from home.
Many states have what is known as reciprocity. You don't pay your fine in thier state and your license can be revoked in your home state until the fine is paid. Just ignoring a ticket because you are out of state can be bad advice. It could also result in a warrant being issued and the next time you are wandering through that state you could be in for a unplanned stop over.
I'm aware of that, but I doubt (don't know for sure) that it applies to an equipment violation. At least Nebraska, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin have never followed through.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I sell and install LEDS, I tell my customers up front; if they buy blue lights in a blue light emergency state, they can only display them while parked. Red and Clear have no impact in a blue light state. Red/flashing is only used by volunteer fire. It is legal to run Red LED's.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 05 Wd Gld

I'm aware of that, but I doubt (don't know for sure) that it applies to an equipment violation. At least Nebraska, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin have never followed through.

Don't count out Massachusetts too quickly. You may have sliped through but trust me they can smell money. If its out there they want it.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 352 Posts

Here in Nebraska the blue lights on a MOVING vehicle would be illegal. And Pococj, it doesn't matter what type of ticket you get, if you don't take care of it there's probably an active warrant for you here...LOL.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: bringelvisback

...I know one thing, I'll be boycotting this area from now on.
Ah...Another happy BikeWeek experience...

But honestly, when you put anything on your bike (or car) that makes it 'stand out'....That's what you're gonna do...Stand Out. Consider yourself lucky that they didn't impound your bike (like I saw them do one year because the dude had really - really tall apehangers).

Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
em2780
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I sell and install LEDS, I tell my customers up front; if they buy blue lights in a blue light emergency state, they can only display them while parked. Red and Clear have no impact in a blue light state. Red/flashing is only used by volunteer fire. It is legal to run Red LED's.
In New Jersey Police still use RED adding BLUE, while Volunteers use BLUE only, Also as I understand it flashing WHITE lights in the front also a ticket in this fine state of New Jersey.

Quick Reply: Led lights got me a ticket