General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Stead or "Normal" brake light function
29.09%
2 or 3 Flashes then Steady function
70.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Steady or Flashing Brake Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steady or Flashing Brake Lights?

ORIGINAL: wideglide95th

steady!!!! If I want to flash I just squeeze release squeeze release way ahead of time to let the cages know of my stopping or turning.
Like you I'm old school. I feather the brake lever while rolling to a stop if I feel the need to warn off a "too close cage". In 30 years I haven't had anybrake wear issues.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the "back off" module (flashes3 times then solid)for my turn signals which are always on w/my tail light. in my tail light I also have a modulating bulb, it fits the stock bulb housing and has internal circutry that flashes 5 times then solid. its a pretty expensive set of bulbs - never to high a price for my safety.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually tap the front brake lever a couple times softly while im slowing to stop,lets cars behind know i'm stopping ,constant eye in the mirror though.... i'm always looking for a way out. I too have the HD run/brake/directional plug in module. would like more brake light on the back,just havent made up my mind yet as to what i want,alot of choices out there.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Ditto. I have the option of flashing the lights, which I normally do when I am riding in the lead, so others are alerted that I'm slowing, stopping, or bringing something to their attention up ahead of us. If I am stopping or applying full brake, I want those lights ON and not just flashing...

I've also thought about having a sign that pops up from my tour pack on full-on braking that says "Stop, idiot!" to the guy behind me... Just a response from having too many come in too fast and too close. Thankfully, none have had in impact on my life -- if you know what I mean...

Old 04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Hitecrednek
Intermediate

I tap the front brake a few times when getting ready to turn/stop, and watch the mirrors....and I start to slow down early for the turn, so the cagers have no choice but to see that I'm slowing down; if there is a large gap between me and the following cager, then I speed up and turn before they catch up.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultraultra
On my Ultra, there are 9 lights on the back end. Ray Charles could see that!
No way........Ray is dead. Stevie Wonder probably though.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has the "wig-wag" module. All that flashing from side to side, then blinking on/off, and one day some a$$ hat teenager behind me, starts flashing his freaking hi-beams at me, like he's trying to get me to stop applying the brake atthe stop light we are both stopped at!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
KenM
Road Master

I bought a Back Off unit - haven't got it on yet.
I'm with Clammy - anything to be seen and not bumped

Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Kisan Technology TailBlazer unit...works very well and gets a lot of attention! It only flashes a few times each time you apply the brake so that it's not annoying.

Steve

Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 PM
thesmithiz
Cruiser

I taled to a MSF instructor that is also a Motor Cop Training Officer and he said that there was a report or sutdy of some sort that was suggesting that flashing lights might be causing more accidents then they prevent from "target fixation". he explained it as when the mind and eye get fixated so much on the flashing the other signals get delayed if not ceased from the brain and you just head right into the flashing light.... Never saw anything to back it up but does make you wonder, I just keep my mind and eyes very aware of what around me might be fixing to run into me and then try to move in a "flash"!

Quick Reply: Steady or Flashing Brake Lights?