General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider to Rider Financing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say the R2R program is a good sales pitch to draw people that other wise need to buy from a dealer due to credit. I had never heard of this before.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 PM
VHinch
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Another on an old thread...

Does the dealer do any advertising, or is it all up to the seller?
No, all the dealer does is process the paperwork. You advertise your bike, make your deal, and then meet the buyer at the dealer. The dealer will inspect the bike, and process the sale for the buyer at the sales price you agreed on plus their fee.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 PM
VHinch
Advanced

Originally Posted by azsportpilot
The interest rates vary wildly... I have heard of rates rivaling Credit Cards for bad credit buyers... and just above current bank rates for strong borrowers with stellar credit and no debt
That was my experience as well. I just let them do the financing to get the promo deal and then paid the bike off the first month, but the financing terms they gave me was 48 months at just under 6%.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
azsportpilot
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VHinch
That was my experience as well. I just let them do the financing to get the promo deal and then paid the bike off the first month, but the financing terms they gave me was 48 months at just under 6%.
I can see where I would use R2R if I found a bike I had to have but was a bit "cash poor" at the moment

get the deal done and buy the bike before someone else does

pay it off in the next month or two.... there is no prepayment penalty & their only fee is for the inspection (which I would want anyway)

Last edited by azsportpilot; 03-09-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 PM
VHinch
Advanced

I can see where I would use R2R if I found a bike I had to have but was a bit "cash poor" at the moment

get the deal done and buy the bike before someone else does

pay it off in the next month or two.... there is no prepayment penalty & their only fee is for the inspection (which I would want anyway)
I only did it because I had found the deal I wanted on the bike I wanted and the seller had it financed through Harley and still owed a little on it so using R2R was the most efficient way to get the deal done. At my dealer the cost was $500 which included the bike inspection. The seller and I split the fee and within about 2 hours he left with his check and I left with the bike.

I only did the financing deal because they were running a promo where if you did R2R and financed through Harley you got a $200 merchandise credit at the dealership. So I financed it, got the credit deal, then paid the bike off when the first statement came. Factoring the $200 credit deal in, I basically paid $50 for the dealer to inspect the bike and handle the tax, tag, and title paperwork. Well worth it for me.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
azsportpilot
Advanced

My credit union won't finance a 10+ year old bike regardless of credit worthiness

R2R does not care about age, they would finance a 1903 model as long as it's a Harley

Their agenda is to maintain and perhaps even boost up BlueBook values of older HD's thereby making their current new prices more justifiable

Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 AM
azsportpilot
Advanced

I am selling my 2004 Deuce this week, the Buyer is using the R2R program

seems pretty straightforward

the Buyer looked at the bike on saturday the 5th
we agreed on a price
called the dealership, spoke to the finance guy
the buyer was approved by 3pm that same saturday
delivered the bike to the dealership for the mandatory inspection on Monday the 7th

the buyer works all week, will come in next saturday to sign and drive away same day
they will have my check on Monday.... so I was told

this is a R2R deal in progress so i will update you as things progress but so far I love the R2R program (from a sellers standpoint)

I was able to offer $199/month financing in my ad and get a fast sale (the buyer will be paying less than $199/mo with $0 down)

The interest rates vary wildly... I have heard of rates rivaling Credit Cards for bad credit buyers... and just above current bank rates for strong borrowers with stellar credit and no debt
UPDATE:...

I went to the Harley Dealer here in Fargo when they opened on Monday morning and they had a check ready and waiting for me.

R2R was quick and easy on my end as the seller

Went smoothly for the buyer as well, they took care of everything, Plates, Insurance etc. he even had the option of adding a warranty

the buyer put $0 down and his payment is under $200/mo

I now have my 09 RKC

Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Gonzbratz
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h.d. rider to rider financing

Here's the real deal on rider to rider financing by H.D.. It sounds good, you do your own search and find a bike through a private party to save money, you get qualified through H.D. financial on line , they give you your limit and credit score, The problem, which is a big one, you have to go to a H.d. dealer to do the transaction. That's where you have obstacles. The dealership charges anywhere between $750. to $ 1000. The dealer will try to hammer you on interest rate(from personal exp. and i'm not trying to brag about my score i just want to give complete facts, i have 720 credit score). The dealer won't tell you the best rate. They actually try to sell you one of their bikes, can't blame them for that, but the dealer being what it is, is not all that eager to help you out. I know H.D. financial makes plenty of money, but they are losing out on a bunch more due to dealership greed. I personally refused to get suckered into dealership greed. I don't have a problem paying a reasonable fee, but $750 to $1000 for what amounts to be 30 minutes to maximum of one hour of paperwork is far to excessive. I live in southern calif, area and those are the dealerships i am basing my info off of....good luck folks..

Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzbratz
Here's the real deal on rider to rider financing by H.D.. It sounds good, you do your own search and find a bike through a private party to save money, you get qualified through H.D. financial on line , they give you your limit and credit score, The problem, which is a big one, you have to go to a H.d. dealer to do the transaction. That's where you have obstacles. The dealership charges anywhere between $750. to $ 1000. The dealer will try to hammer you on interest rate(from personal exp. and i'm not trying to brag about my score i just want to give complete facts, i have 720 credit score). The dealer won't tell you the best rate. They actually try to sell you one of their bikes, can't blame them for that, but the dealer being what it is, is not all that eager to help you out. I know H.D. financial makes plenty of money, but they are losing out on a bunch more due to dealership greed. I personally refused to get suckered into dealership greed. I don't have a problem paying a reasonable fee, but $750 to $1000 for what amounts to be 30 minutes to maximum of one hour of paperwork is far to excessive. I live in southern calif, area and those are the dealerships i am basing my info off of....good luck folks..
I used HDF rider to rider financing last year. $150 paperwork fee, decent interest rate, took about an hour. No sales, no pressure.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I've never used the R2R program and I don't know anyone who has but I did overhear a salesman talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned a $400 "fee". I have a feeling that this a "regional" figure (higher in warmer states where bikes sell much faster) but that's jus speculation on my part.

If the fee can be split 50/50 between the seller an the buyer, and the buyer gets a bike that has been inspected by a professional mechanic, that sounds like a "win-win" plan to me.

From what I've read on this thread, the "deal killer" for me would be the outrageous interest rates.

I wonder if the same buyer could have a new bike financed at a lower interest rate, just like new cars are financed at lower rates than used cars?

There's a LOT of used Sportsters for sale at some very low prices and I'd much rather have an older one with no payment than paying 21% interest on a used, newer model bike.

Sometimes you need to hold off on discretionary spending and wait until you have enough cash in hand to work a better deal.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-09-2016 at 12:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sgn2bapt (03-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Rider to Rider Financing?