General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN# Sticker On Frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN# Sticker On Frame

Since the VIN# is stamped on the frame of the bike, is there any good reason not to break out the hair dryer and remove the VIN# sticker on the frame? It is an eyesore to me whenI am customizing a bike to have any visable stickers and I can't see any reason to keep it. Legally, I would guess that all you need to have is the VIN# stamp on the frame...Anyone have any feedback on this?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:28 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: VIN# Sticker On Frame

Mine is gone,see no reason for it.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about removing that sticker myself...along with the "not a gas cap" decal on the fuel guage.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Aces N Eights

Only reason I see for keeping it is to make it easier for LEOs and the dealer to read. Other than that, I see no reason to keep it. I am planning on removing mine and, using an electronic label maker, creating another and placing it under the passenger pillion, close to the rider seat, for reference purposes.

07HC

Old 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard form dealer service manager that the vin is supposed to be on 3 palces. Said I could get a ticket for removing sticker. Dont make much since to me as it is stamped into the frame. If you could take it off with out fkn it up mount it on the frame under the moter where it is not visable, then you could say it is on the bike??????[8D]

Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I should get rid of mine. The prior owner started to peel it off, but never finished. Hmmm, that will be done soon.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been retired about 7 years and haven't worked auto theft for at least ten so my info may be incorrect but I believe that's referred to as the federal sticker and , in Ohio, it's not supposed to be removed... You may be giving a state trooper an excuse to impound your bike.. If you own, say a newer Mustang, and you remove the vin sticker on the trunk deck, or hood, or fenders, it's illegal and you subject your vehicle to impound for investigation. I'm not sure but I think the same would apply to the federal VIN sticker on your bike..

Old 04-01-2007, 09:41 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i beleive your corect
ORIGINAL: alazlo

Been retired about 7 years and haven't worked auto theft for at least ten so my info may be incorrect but I believe that's referred to as the federal sticker and , in Ohio, it's not supposed to be removed... You may be giving a state trooper an excuse to impound your bike.. If you own, say a newer Mustang, and you remove the vin sticker on the trunk deck, or hood, or fenders, it's illegal and you subject your vehicle to impound for investigation. I'm not sure but I think the same would apply to the federal VIN sticker on your bike..

Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if you go to sturgis there are at least 4 cops stationed by the baricades at each main st. intersection. that sticker is what they look for. no sticker you may get stopped.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: alazlo

I see you haven't forgotten a thing

Quick Reply: VIN# Sticker On Frame